Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gatts
  • 1 Post By Creative83

RTHK censors a BBC cantonese radio broadcast on HK democracy

Closed Thread

RTHK censors a BBC cantonese radio broadcast on HK democracy

"RTHK automatically cut out part of BBC Cantonese radio show when it mentioned "democracy" and "rule of law".

(program interruption starts at the 0:06 mark in this video, with music played instead of the actual broadcast, right after the speaker starts a sentence with "rule of law" and "democracy" in it)

Anybody pick up on this? I find this really scary, the first blatantly Mainland-China-like censorship I have come across in HK, a sign of things to come?

Last edited by Gatts; 02-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

looks like very selective editing...

Looks like a glitch to me.... but anyway,"reds under the beds". Shades of Macarthyism.

Its true that the PRC censorship office does do this*. It isn't necessary in the West because the news media there is controlled by people who would never allow "enemy propaganda" to be broadcast in the first place. Ever seen the BBC or CNN showing a Chinese "Panorama" type expose of Western Capitalism on prime time in the UK or USA. Don't think so. Ever seen them do it themselves? don't think so. Of course they are more than willing to feed individuals to the lions, as the masses do like a spectacle every now and again.

I know I am pissing in the wind here given that a lot of expats on this forum work as private bankers

* since this was RTHK - more likely to have been a glitch - unless they were broadcasting to GZ - then they might have been required to do it.

Last edited by pokfulam1; 10-04-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by pokfulam1:
    Its true that the PRC censorship office does do this*. It isn't necessary in the West because the news media there is controlled by people who would never allow "enemy propaganda" to be broadcast in the first place. Ever seen the BBC or CNN showing a Chinese "Panorama" type expose of Western Capitalism on prime time in the UK or USA. Don't think so. Ever seen them do it themselves? don't think so. Of course they are more than willing to feed individuals to the lions, as the masses do like a spectacle every now and again.

I know I am pissing in the wind here given that a lot of expats on this forum work as private bankers

* since this was RTHK - more likely to have been a glitch - unless they were broadcasting to GZ - then they might have been required to do it.
    No matter what you say, people here aren't ready/willing to face what you're saying. Interesting how things work when it comes to self-reflection.
    Last edited by Creative83; 10-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.
    Gatts likes this.

Gatt's old chap, I note your liking of Creative83's reply to my missive. So it seems you have proved him wrong and there are indeed folks on here capable of self reflection.

Just to prove a point. In today's BBC:

"In America, everyone has the right to free speech. But legally spoken remarks often have severe consequences - as the baseball coach who praised Fidel Castro has now discovered.

Ozzie Guillen, manager of the Miami Marlins baseball team, earned a five-game suspension after praising Fidel Castro in a Time Magazine interview (you can be sure Time put a negative spin on it as well)."

Last edited by pokfulam1; 12-04-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: missing quotes