Like Tree49Likes

Journalists & Editors at risk?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Journalists & Editors at risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom007:
    First I hope he will recover soon. Gosh that's a horrendous and a terrible crazy attack. On one side it's so unlike Hong Kong ( very peaceful , safe here ) and on the other side it seems to be a popular method inflicting grievous body harm. Is it because the law is to lenient when chopping of people's limbs etcetera ?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    It's very much like Hong Kong...classic triad and there are incidents in he papers pretty frequently....it's done to scare people...
    Last edited by INXS; 27-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.

they stabbed him a few times and missed a lot of the vital organs, either deliberate or sloppy, anyways Its most likely he or the newspaper pissed off some well connected business / business person, just like apple daily newspaper owner, hes been target a few times, his house gate crashed into etc, dont think Beijing would even bother with a lonely news paper chief.

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I am suspicious about this too. If it really was Beijing then it was a stupid move. It's almost as if it was done to make it look like it was Beijing....
    Bloody hell, it must have been Gary! Now we know why he's changed identities.

It's hilarious listening to these armchair detectives imagining Beijing sending a tattooed delivery driver to chop anyone...it's mental laziness at best.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes but it is different if it is disappearing because Beijing is pressuring or because some business man / gangster is pissed of and send the mob after the editor.

One is easily fixable and a once in a while case (the mob stuff) one is way more complicate to eradicate and will keep going on (the beijing stuff)

Original Post Deleted
    The point is that this is clearly not Beijing's doing...so what Beijing does or doesn't do is irrelevant in this thread...

Original Post Deleted
    And you have?

That Beijing is censoring the press is a common knowldge so I am not sure what's your added value here (aside from snarking comments, insults and that oh so present feeling of superiority)

The question here is: Was this chopping of the editor due to Beijing (ie order from some official or well connected with the power people) or some pissed off wanna be mobster bizman from HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    And you have?

That Beijing is censoring the press is a common knowldge so I am not sure what's your added value here (aside from snarking comments, insults and that oh so present feeling of superiority)

The question here is: Was this chopping of the editor due to Beijing (ie order from some official or well connected with the power people) or some pissed off wanna be mobster bizman from HK.
    I suppose since one has little to go on, nothing can be ruled out at this point as to who the perpetrator is. I'm not supporting TB's trollish antics, but it is conceivable that Beijing, in order to mask their role as the behind-the-scene culprit, contacted the triads through some third person to stage the hit. That way, Beijing can deny any responsibility. Too outlandish? That is precisely what Beijing wants you to believe. They know they can't censor the press in HK like they can on the mainland, so they have to resort to...extra-legal means to do so.

Of course, there is also a more likely reason. Some businessmen with triad connections aren't happy with certain reports this editor has made so contacted his goons to stage the hit on him. That has been the likely cause for several past assaults on journalists or newspaper owners. Apple Daily in particular has a fair share of these attacks since they regularly report on triad affairs. This latest incident may merely be the latest example of such attacks.

Beyond the actual victim and his/her newspaper employer however, the HK police may probably be the biggest loser. They look incompetent since with one or two exceptions aside, few of these attacks on journalists were ever solved. If this latest incident is also not solved, serious questions will have to be raised regarding the abilities of the HK police regarding these kind of attacks.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-02-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I suppose since one has little to go on, nothing can be ruled out at this point as to who the perpetrator is. I'm not supporting TB's trollish antics, but it is conceivable that Beijing, in order to mask their role as the behind-the-scene culprit, contacted the triads through some third person to stage the hit. That way, Beijing can deny any responsibility. Too outlandish? That is precisely what Beijing wants you to believe. They know they can't censor the press in HK like they can on the mainland, so they have to resort to...extra-legal means to do so.

Of course, there is also a more likely reason. Some businessmen with triad connections aren't happy with certain reports this editor has made so contacted his goons to stage the hit on him. That has been the likely cause for several past assaults on journalists or newspaper owners. Apple Daily in particular has a fair share of these attacks since they regularly report on triad affairs. This latest incident may merely be the latest example of such attacks.

Beyond the actual victim and his/her newspaper employer however, the HK police may probably be the biggest loser. They look incompetent since with one or two exceptions aside, few of these attacks on journalists were ever solved. If this latest incident is also not solved, serious questions will have to be raised regarding the abilities of the HK police regarding these kind of attacks.
    Probably a couple of extra 'accidental overdoses' in Mong Kok toilets...nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Probably a couple of extra 'accidental overdoses' in Mong Kok toilets...nothing to see here.
    How the mastermind does not get caught, rule no.1: Kill the assassins (or in this case, the stabbers). 'Accidental overdoses" of these attackers will be very..."convenient".
    Last edited by Watercooler; 27-02-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast