Like Tree59Likes

Top 10 Ridiculous claims made about helpers

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Whether you complain or not, I have no comment, but all I am saying the government won't give a crap about it.

When you say the government, what you are really saying is the people of Hong Kong. It is the people of Hong Kong who need to stand up for the rights of these Filipino and Indonesian women.

Let's not hide behind the government here. It is the people of Hong Kong who choose to accept the status quo.
    kimwy66, TheBrit and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    When you say the government, what you are really saying is the people of Hong Kong. It is the people of Hong Kong who need to stand up for the rights of these Filipino and Indonesian women.

Let's not hide behind the government here. It is the people of Hong Kong who choose to accept the status quo.
    Agreed. The government only acts if there is sufficient pressure from those they are held accountable to (in theory anyway), the HK people. Clearly there is not enough pressure at the moment. Its no good for some expats to tell this is bad etc, if the HK people do not feel the same. So what do you propose to do about this?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 06-03-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Agreed. The government only acts if there is sufficient pressure from those they are held accountable to (in theory anyway), the HK people. Clearly there is not enough pressure at the moment. Its no good for some expats to tell this is bad etc, if the HK people do not feel the same. So what do you propose to do about this?

What to do about it? Try your best to expose the situation for what it is. The local population has a dilemna of sorts. Many people simply can not afford a FDHer, yet the FDHer is essential to their current quality of life. In addition, many locals were brought up in this environment and honestly can't see anything wrong with the situation. I forget where I saw it, but I remember reading that many children in Hong Kong develop racist attitudes towards "brown skinned" Asians beginning at very young ages. One can hardly be surprised when an entire race appears to be serving another and a seperate set of rules applies to some employees and not others.

I think the FDH situation will only improve when more of a spotlight gets puts on it. It survives in it's current state because most people, in particular the government agencies, don't want to address the situation from a human rights perspective. Its almost like most people know there is a problem, but since the system benefits them, why rock the boat.
    kimwy66 and jgl like this.

NO it is BOTH the people of HK and the helpers.

Both sides need to stand up for the rights of the helpers.

As long as helpers tolerate these conditions, nothing will change.

Both the helper and the employer need to act. It goes both way (and yes I am very aware that it means a lot of sacrifice for the helpers - might lose her job).
    Last edited by Mat; 06-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    NO it is BOTH the people of HK and the helpers.

Both sides need to stand up for the rights of the helpers.

As long as helpers tolerate these conditions, nothing will change.

Both the helper and the employer need to act. It goes both way (and yes I am very aware that it means a lot of sacrifice for the helpers - might lose her job).
    96% of the population is HK Chinese

100% of the legislative body is HK Chinese

Close to 100% of the police force is HK Chinese

2% of the population here are FDH ( of which most are poor women )

FDHers have 2 weeks after resigning to leave Hong Kong

The deck is stacked heavily against them...to say the least.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 06-03-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    kimwy66 and TheBrit like this.

96% of the population is HK Chinese

100% of the legislative body is HK Chinese

Close to 100% of the police force is HK Chinese

2% of the population here are FDH ( of which most are poor women )

FDHers have 2 weeks after resigning to leave Hong Kong

The deck is stacked heavily against them...to say the least.
    That's for sure and I never disputed that (you are stating the obvious so I am not quite sure what your point is to be honest..)

But unless the abused persons start to rebel (or that some cases make international headlines - ie way more than they currently do), it ain't gonna change.

For a change, you need the FDH to fight against the current system that give them a job but that "kill" them too.

Gvt and HK people ain't going to do much until the FDH do something. It is sad I know.

"Revolution" start from the bottom, not from the top.

HK people / government probably won't do anything unless they are embarrassed into it by negative international attention. Or is that too a harsh view?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

Mat and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    HK people / government probably won't do anything unless they are embarrassed into it by negative international attention. Or is that too a harsh view?
    Nope that's my view too.

You need to have :
    - huge international scrutiny and/or
    - "revolution" from the bottom

else you will get nothing done.

You can list all numbers you want, debate as long as you want, have as much good will as you want....but end of the day you will need some very very tough and nasty cases (like the one recently) and / or a "revolution" from the bottom (ie a strong action from the FDH and/or their own gvt) to move this forward.

Else it will be statu quo and in 10 years we are still here writing the same thing.
    Watercooler and INXS like this.

If it came down to your children starving to death or you being mistreated and beaten which one would you choose?

closedcasket likes this.