Like Tree265Likes

Squall season about to start, what's your most memorable HK weather event?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Squall season about to start, what's your most memorable HK weather event?

Looking at the HKO, there is a forecast of (heavy) rain showers starting this weekend and early next week. Yup, the squall season has arrived (usually from late spring to early summer-but can last into autumn on some occasions), where the skies can turn pitch black with sudden gusts of hurricane-force wind and rain that comes down like the Niagara Falls.

There is danger involved with these squalls to be sure, but at the same time, I find them fascinating to watch (from a safe location of course). Here is an example of a HK squall:

Less frequently, you might even see a tornado/watersprout:

So, what is your favourite weather phenomenon in HK?

Last edited by Watercooler; 25-03-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Obviously typhoons but I love black rain too. I saw those waterspouts...if that video is the day I am thinking about, there were three at one point.

Watercooler likes this.

Flash flood on the South Lantau Country Trail (normally a very benign trail):

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 25-03-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    HK_Katherine, INXS and Watercooler like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Watching those huge concrete drains fill up in a storm should be compulsory viewing for Hong Kong kids...quite extraordinary.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Obviously typhoons but I love black rain too. I saw those waterspouts...if that video is the day I am thinking about, there were three at one point.
    Ha, black rain. Yeah, that will be quite a sight. Hong Kong is gonna get flooded if there is black rain. I've seen videos of black rain and it literally turn HK streets into rivers. I could never wish for such an event, although that would be an incredible demonstration of nature in its raw form indeed.

Of course it does not have to be bad weather necessarily, some fair weather events could also be interesting.

Rather foolhardy trying to cross though!

Which part of the South Lantau country trail was the pic taken? ( nice pic of your backside, Grunt.)

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Which part of the South Lantau country trail was the pic taken? ( nice pic of your backside, Grunt.)
    Somewhere around distance marker Cxx10 (don't have the map to hand and can't remember the first 2 digits for the SLCT). We started from PKA and turned round just after marker 9 when we realised that the rock shelf/pool by marker 8 would be incredibly dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Rather foolhardy trying to cross though!
    Sometimes you just have to live a little!

Obviously I'd have turned round at the first one like this if I'd been leading a group, but it was just me and a mate, so we had a bit of excitement crossing about 4 like this, then back again after we decided not to risk the one near marker 8.

I still remember my first black rain. Sent us home from work in the drizzle and I thought wtf. Then it started!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast