Like Tree26Likes

Police & Indonesian Consulate Detain Eriwana Upon Return to HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I have a little doubt that a website like hkhelperscampaign.com is totally free of bias.

If they (they sound so cool when talking about a conspiracy) didn't want to follow up the case then why arrest the employer? Since the fdm wasn't in HK they could have simply said 'lack of evidence'. But they went even to ID to collect evidence.

Anyway, I hope that Erwiana is not undermining her own credibility with some made up BS stories, like the fdm a few month ago.
    usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    why arrest the employer? Since the fdm wasn't in HK they could have simply said 'lack of evidence'. But they went even to ID to collect evidence.
    If i remember correctly, at 1st the Police wasnt going to investigate like you say above the FDH wasnt even in HK and she didnt file a case, it was only after all the media coverage did the Police actually do something.
    auss likes this.

I have a little doubt that a website like hkhelperscampaign.com is totally free of bias.

If they (they sound so cool when talking about a conspiracy) didn't want to follow up the case then why arrest the employer? Since the fdm wasn't in HK they could have simply said 'lack of evidence'. But they went even to ID to collect evidence.

Anyway, I hope that Erwiana is not undermining her own credibility with some made up BS stories, like the fdm a few month ago.
    Seems odd there are no photos of any scenes with police other than a picture of a couple standing outside the embassy.

Naturally the hkhelperscampaign website is going to be spinning it one way, that is their job. However, the reporting from the SCMP does suggest that the HK police / government, the Indo consulate and her agency seemed to have been fcuking things up for her:

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...ooking-healthy

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    If i remember correctly, at 1st the Police wasnt going to investigate like you say above the FDH wasnt even in HK and she didnt file a case, it was only after all the media coverage did the Police actually do something.
    How can they start a case if the main victim doesn't report it? For domestic violence it is not easy for the police to collect the evidence.

IMHO there should be a government campaign to educate fdm to speak out. It's not their nature to be proactive about it. And those who do need full protection. There should be also some minimum requirement of who can actually hire fdm. It can't be that people in public housing estate, which have obviously zero space, can hire a fdm.

How can they start a case if the main victim doesn't report it? For domestic violence it is not easy for the police to collect the evidence.

IMHO there should be a government campaign to educate fdm to speak out. It's not their nature to be proactive about it. And those who do need full protection. There should be also some minimum requirement of who can actually hire fdm. It can't be that people in public housing estate, which have obviously zero space, can hire a fdm.

You are absolutely right. You have highlighted two major problems. The minimum requirement to hire a helper (last I checked) was 15K a month!! Are you kidding me? No one making 15k a month should be able to import labor from another country. One can barely support themself at that wage let alone take on the responsibility of another. That is setting things up for abuse.

Helpers should be able to live outside the home like everyone else. This undoubtedly would go a long way towards reducing abuses.

Need to elimate the 2 week rule. Helpers should be treated no differently than anyone else in regards to their work visas. Many helpers don't report abuses because they only have 2 weeks and they will get deported out of the country. This rule seems very discrimatory and makes no sense.

There should be a seperate government agency charged specifically with monitoring the treatment and well being of the these vulnerable women. They should be pro-actively, randomly and anonymously checking in with these women. There needs to be a system in place where these women can feel "comfortable" reporting abuses without the fear of losing their job.

But sadly, I'm not sure the Hong Kong public has any interest in seeing this happen....

Its not their mother or sisters or daughters who work these jobs...so in typical HK fashion, most simply don't care
    Last edited by closedcasket; 08-04-2014 at 11:40 AM.
    TheBrit, kimwy66 and wtbhotia like this.

This is beyond belief. Even by HK Gov standards.

TheBrit, INXS and gunsnroses like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yeah...me too.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    You are absolutely right. You have highlighted two major problems. The minimum requirement to hire a helper (last I checked) was 15K a month!! Are you kidding me? No one making 15k a month should be able to import labor from another country. One can barely support themself at that wage let alone take on the responsibility of another. That is setting things up for abuse.

Helpers should be able to live outside the home like everyone else. This undoubtedly would go a long way towards reducing abuses.

Need to elimate the 2 week rule. Helpers should be treated no differently than anyone else in regards to their work visas. Many helpers don't report abuses because they only have 2 weeks and they will get deported out of the country. This rule seems very discrimatory and makes no sense.

There should be a seperate government agency charged specifically with monitoring the treatment and well being of the these vulnerable women. They should be pro-actively, randomly and anonymously checking in with these women. There needs to be a system in place where these women can feel "comfortable" reporting abuses without the fear of losing their job.

But sadly, I'm not sure the Hong Kong public has any interest in seeing this happen....

Its not their mother or sisters or daughters who work these jobs...so in typical HK fashion, most simply don't care
    For once...I agree with you.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks