Like Tree26Likes

POPVOTE: 500,000 votes in one day?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Clearly Beijing's latest propoganda.
    This is a realy stupid suggestion!

Really? Then I suggest you have a very atypical circle of friends. Even amongst my expat friends it's quite a major topic of conversation, especially those of us for whom HK is our long term home.

Gatts and Cwbguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Gs:
    This is a realy stupid suggestion!
    Seems very sensible to me or do you think Beijing would never lie?

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetingly:
    I'm curious who here has voted?

I did, via the website/phone method.
    I did not vote.

I wonder if it is possible for those computers technically to handle 500,000 votes in one day. The web site for Obamacare can't handle that. 500,000 votes sounds fishy!
    At the peak time the on-line system had to deal with 11 transactions per second.

The first day was around an average of 6 per second while the last day around 0.2 votes per second. Given that the majority of the data was delivered in a very clean and concise way from an app these figures look very manageable. A simple on-line betting service in a mid-sized country would probable handle a much higher volume of traffic.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    R.O. likes this.

I would have voted but it said pr only so I didn't.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Seems very sensible to me or do you think Beijing would never lie?
    Beijing is not the only country that lies. All countries lie including U.S. and U.K. It is funny when I do not believe there are actually 500,000 votes, I become an agent of Beijing! Can you accept different opinions?

Because I just do not know anyone who cares, talks about it or votes,
    Probably 700,000 out of around 3,000,000 eligible voters disagree with you.

Given that around 35% would not vote as they are in the pro-beijing camp that means around 1 in 3 voted in a public opinion survey held by an organisation the majority probably have little time for and with options that were not very centrist.

The turn-out results are surprisingly impressive and to not acknowledge this is somewhat strange and probably wrong-headed.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-06-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    At the peak time the on-line system had to deal with 11 transactions per second.

The first day was around an average of 6 per second while the last day around 0.2 votes per second. Given that the majority of the data was delivered in a very clean and concise way from an app these figures look very maneagle. A simple on-line betting service in a mid-sized would probable handle a much higher volume of traffic.
    I appreciate this type of analysis.

Each vote is tied to a unique HKID number and (in the case of online votes) a phone number). I'm reasonably confident that I trust the HKU polling people sufficiently not to attempt to fake those, and it seems to me that a huge amount of effort would be needed for anyone to ballot stuff significantly. If there had been, say, 300,000 prepaid SIMs bought in the last few days and then just used to receive an SMS from the polling system I think we would have heard about it from a mole inside the mobile companies.

Moreover, if someone were attempting to ballot stuff (by just voting using random HKID numbers), that would give rise to a subsantial number of voting attempts being rejected due to duplicates with the same HKID. Again, if this were happening I'm sure the poll administrators would let it be known.

Last edited by Fleetingly; 23-06-2014 at 04:58 PM.