15 7.18%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

105 50.24%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.57%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

69 33.01%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I can't find the original post by Dard that you quoted. But science says he's totally wrong. He should read the research of Professor Susan Golombok, who is Professor of Family Research, Director of the Centre for Family Research at the University of Cambridge. She's made her research accessible to the man on the street in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Family.../dp/1541758641
    I guess Dard has been consigned to the dustbin of history

This argument makes little sense. But.....

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng-kong-public

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    This argument makes little sense. But.....

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng-kong-public
    You are right, no sense at all. Seriously, how many same-sex couples are we talking about here?

I'd love to know what proportion of the 32% of people who think marriage is only for heterosexuals are of that belief due to religious doctrine. And of the 50% who think think that homosexual marriages should be recognised, how many of those think that on balance religion is a net force for good.

In answer to the title question, I see absolutely no reason why same sex marriages should not be recognised. Marriage (imo) exists as a means to socially and legally enforce monogamy and thus strong family units / stable social environment in which to raise children. Greater certainty over paternity leading to getter outcomes for families, for obvious reasons. Perhaps a necessary evil for a naturally polygamous species living in unnaturally large populations.

As such I don't actually think that marriage is good for most people (especially men) and that homosexual couples who don't adopt don't have much to gain by getting married, but at the same time that if they wish to do so then it's only bigotry standing in their way.

I believe marriage is bullshit. Period. Marriage is outdated with no benefits and limitless down side lol.

My definition of Marriage: A contract between two people which may or may not bite you in the ass down the road

If same sex marriage is allowed, why not allow polygamy/polyamory again too? Its all consenting adults engaging in a group relationship.

ByeByeEngland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I believe marriage is bullshit. Period. Marriage is outdated with no benefits and limitless down side lol.

My definition of Marriage: A contract between two people which may or may not bite you in the ass down the road

If same sex marriage is allowed, why not allow polygamy/polyamory again too? Its all consenting adults engaging in a group relationship.
    There's actually a lot of sense in this thought process. I realise this might upset some deeply religious people and others that have been happily married for years but quite frankly same-sex couples wanting equality through marriage never seemed to be the right approach to me. The inequality comes through 'rights' that are only obtained through marriage when realistically those rights just needed to be extended to anyone that wants a committed partnership.

However I can understand why same sex strove/strive for marriage (depending on their location) and until the world gets real I guess we'll have this inequality for many years to come.

The worst part of marriage is being a father with a madly in love daughter in her 20s. I've tried to educate her for years in the no need for a wedding these days mantra. Have you seen the bloody costs of one these days.
    Gollygordon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    There's actually a lot of sense in this thought process. I realise this might upset some deeply religious people and others that have been happily married for years but quite frankly same-sex couples wanting equality through marriage never seemed to be the right approach to me. The inequality comes through 'rights' that are only obtained through marriage when realistically those rights just needed to be extended to anyone that wants a committed partnership.

However I can understand why same sex strove/strive for marriage (depending on their location) and until the world gets real I guess we'll have this inequality for many years to come.

The worst part of marriage is being a father with a madly in love daughter in her 20s. I've tried to educate her for years in the no need for a wedding these days mantra. Have you seen the bloody costs of one these days.
    oh yea, I forgot to mention the COST of the glamous party (wedding) which is a big part of "marriage". From the ring to the wedding, the winners are the party planners, venues and the jewellers lol

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    oh yea, I forgot to mention the COST of the glamous party (wedding) which is a big part of "marriage". From the ring to the wedding, the winners are the party planners, venues and the jewellers lol
    A benefit of Covid. Hopefully a lasting change

Name:  Average-Wedding-Cost-Over-the-Years.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  84.3 KB
    ByeByeEngland and hike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:

I’ll blame Disney and Co for the glorification of grand weddings that are followed with the simple line “….and they lived happily ever after.”
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21