15 7.28%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

103 50.00%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.71%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

68 33.01%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Everyone seems to completely skip over the idea of trial marriage or any transformative potential we have. Here is the AEON article I mentioned above:
    https://aeon.co/opinions/a-temporary...riage-for-life

Also I would like to point out that, a LGBT issue must in the end by resolved by the LGBT people. Just as it's easy to see that it's inappropriate for a man to meddle in women's rights issues (not only as a supporter, but assume authority over what's best for women and speak for women without addressing actual women concerns), which easily falls into the trap of perpetuating a sexist power relations. A straight person claiming to know better than a gay person is dangeorus.

On the other hand, just saw this post on my Facebook newsfeed: Meet The Gay Muslim Who Was Attacked on Grindr Just For Being Muslim - Mic

Quote Originally Posted by Josealle:
    Everyone seems to completely skip over the idea of trial marriage or any transformative potential we have.
    Several posters have replied on this theme that no matter what type of 'contract' is used there still needs to be some see recourse for when relationships don't end amicably.

Quote Originally Posted by Josealle:
    I would like to point out that, a LGBT issue must in the end by resolved by the LGBT people.
    Surely they must be resolved by society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The argument that 50% of marriages fail so no one should get married is strange to me. A lot of things in life fail but we do them anyway. Long term relationships fail but we still have them. Personally I think marriage is great which is why I have done it more than once
    People always point out the 50% divorce rate of marriages, which is an accurate, though perhaps an intentionally misleading stat.

Wouldnt it sound better to say that 70% of people who marry, remain in that marriage?

The 50% divorce rate of all marriages takes into account those people who are impossible to live with, chemically dependent, emotionally unstable, and the grass is always greener on the other side types. Some people just shouldn't get married, and many of those wind up getting married (and marriage failing) 3,4 or more times.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 30-11-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

One of the arguments being made against marriage is a "high failure rate". Well that's rather subjective. Sure, the USA has a very high failure rate. Not every country does though. In some countries marriages are really very stable. I would argue that the failure rate of marriages in some developed countries like the USA is due to a) the ease of divorce and b) the selfishness of individuals in those countries. What I mean by selfishness is a lack of willingness to consider other people, to give and take, and to try and make things work. It's all "if I'm not happy I walk away" rather than actually putting some effort in and making things work. I get the impression that the poster suggesting marriage is).
    Looking at divorce rates between different countries is much more complex than this. Divorce rates in countries can indicate a higher level of gender equality and personal freedoms. In parts of the world, women don't have the economic means or personal freedoms to escape a marriage. Or they are bound by social norms or religious taboos.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm proud of the US's divorce rate, but I'm not ashamed of it.

I agree with DeletedUser - Josealle is speaking out of both sides of her/his mouth. You can't diss marriage as a whole and then hide behind "straights mustn't assume rights over LGBTI issues" talk. Another fashionable pseudo-radical meme.

Also, divorce is a straight innovation of the marriage institution; and so is swinging, as was in fact monogamy. Divorce doesn't have to seen as a failure; not every divorcee experience it as purely negative. It is already a contractual end, a built-in exit mechanism. The institution is remarkably adaptable without having to do away with it.

I chose "does it matter?" but the best wording for how I feel on it is "should it matter?"
    Like some people have mentioned in previous posts, marriage is an option. You should be able to choose to marry or choose not to marry. Really, you should be able to choose if you want to marry anybody and any thing. it should make little difference to us and the rest of the world whether someone chooses to marry his horse or not.

the only reason it does matter is because of all the legalities which are used by governments to incentivize marriage. When you have these incentives, thats why you get nuns offering fake marriages for citizenship.

I am perplexed at the 23% vote against gay marriage here. If this was a poll among gun fanatic Tea Party adepts maybe, but on an expat forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    I am perplexed at the 23% vote against gay marriage here.
    Many people have a misunderstanding about gay marriages. It's in addition to conventional marriage, not a replacement.
    bookblogger, j r and spode like this.

Should gay marriage be recognized in Hong Kong?

Allow me to consider...

Does it affect my marriage? No.

Does it hurt anyone else? No.

So my answer is yes. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    I am perplexed at the 23% vote against gay marriage here. If this was a poll among gun fanatic Tea Party adepts maybe, but on an expat forum?
    23% may reflect the general view but what is surprising is the inability to articulate any argument for not allowing same sex marriages.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast