15 7.18%
  • Same sex marriages should be possible in Hong Kong

105 50.24%
  • Does it matter?

20 9.57%
  • No, marriage is just for men and women

69 33.01%
Like Tree141Likes

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Should Hong Kong recognise same sex marriage?

Today is the International Day against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

Many locals, overseas professionals, and domestic helpers are denied being recognised by the state as being a couple.

scrambler likes this.

the whole world should recognize same sex marriage, it is just a matter of when.

hannah01, Bumble-bee and lenhel like this.

There are two different questions here, really... While I disagree, I can't really blame the Hong Kong government for not being interested in allowing local marriage equality, because I think it reflects local attitudes - in some ways, Hong Kong society is pretty conservative.

Recognising same-sex marriages from elsewhere, as long as they're carried out by a 'competent authority' would be a sensible compromise. It would remove a small-but-annoying immigration issue - let's face it, it doesn't actually affect that many people - but it would also give locals a relatively quiet opportunity to at least get the legal/tax/health/etc. protections of marriage, by going abroad to get married...

Most local people I know don't give a shit either way...if it doesn't affect them, so what...I see many openly gay people walking about in HK...nobody cares. The government is out of touch on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    Most local people I know don't give a shit either way...if it doesn't affect them, so what...I see many openly gay people walking about in HK...nobody cares. The government is out of touch on this...
    Agree with this, although perhaps it is the religious views of senior members of the HK government that prevents an enlightened approach.
    hannah01 likes this.

I've been surprised at how many gay people I've become friends with in Hong Kong (over the majority of my friends). There is a prevalent community, and it's sad to see they don't have the same ability to establish their family/lives together legally. I was particularly sad when I once met a foreign gay couple here, and the non-working partner was having a very difficult time, unable to get a visa or get any job, just here as a tourist to be with his partner (although they had been together for decades). His partner had a fairly prominent job in HK even. It struck me how difficult my own life would be if I didn't have that right. When I tried to be with my partner in the UK without a visa, I had one of the most depressing times of my life constantly cooped up at home filling out applications trying to find someone to sponsor me, unable to even use my time to volunteer. It came down to marriage for us to give us a chance to continue staying together.... gay couples in HK don't have that right/chance. I have that right because I'm heterosexual -- that is just wrong.

I agree with Enderman. No one really cares, gay people are fairly open about it, it's just the government that's behind the times... they should have equal rights.

PS -- Someone had said in some other thread for advice for a possibly gay person moving here that "partner" would imply a gay couple. I always wanted to say -- no, no it doesn't. I use it all the time. A lot of relationships today don't fall within traditional categories. People may get legally married for the visa but not really married, people may just be in long-term relationships that don't have an underlying marriage, etc. I don't care to explain to someone I just meet what my status is. Partner is a very nice general term.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 17-05-2015 at 12:28 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

I wonder if it is only a question of when, not if for some form of gay marriage to be accepted in HK despite resistance of the government. Sometimes the HK government has to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern age. The ICAC was created by bypassing much of the government bureaucracy. The minimum wage was only created after many years of lobbying. Being gay was only decriminalized in 1991.

Being a reactionary government, you cannot expect them to proactively change social norms through legislation. It must always be pushed and cajoled into doing so, moving inch by inch.

Last edited by Cho-man; 17-05-2015 at 01:04 PM.

Locals here take photos of gay couples when they know no one's looking. But when others are looking, they'll act like it's normal. Also, they do it for fun cause it's supposed to be entertaining to show others. Which is why you don't see gay couples holding hands on the street. But it's also different from the west in that they don't have a religious view on it.

I think the sheer VISA loophole wouldn't allow same sex marriage to ever function as it should in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    Which is why you don't see gay couples holding hands on the street.
    I've seen gay couples holding hands on the street, and I've even seen a lesbian couple kissing on a tram (both locals), although they did stop when an elderly local man gave them a look. Then again an elderly man in Europe or US is just as likely to have the same attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I've seen gay couples holding hands on the street, and I've even seen a lesbian couple kissing on a tram (both locals), although they did stop when an elderly local man gave them a look. Then again an elderly man in Europe or US is just as likely to have the same attitude.
    Being probably one of the most progressive and liberal modern cities in Asia Hong Kong already attracts many same sex couples. The local population is probably much less conservative than mid-west USA for example. The freely elected seat in LegCo appear pretty socially progressive so it does seem to be an establishment issue.

The Government of Hong Kong could really show that Hong Kong is a world city by moving forward faster. It is not a case of if but when.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast