• walk on one side / stand on other

57 90.48%
  • stand on both sides

6 9.52%
Like Tree210Likes

Stop walking on escalators

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

So 42% were injured walking, that leave 58% presumably standing still when injured. I think I''ll keep walking seems that odds are in my favour then.

rathunt likes this.

Amusing Geo-bashing arguments aside, I'm pretty sure that the way the MTR looks at escalators is pretty misguided. I don't think that accidents on escalators are caused by whether someone is walking or standing, but how attentive they are.

Muppets distracted by phones, conversations or just being spaced out are more likely to have an accident regardless of whether they are standing or walking. If anything, I would argue that if people always stand on escalators, they are more likely to space out and become distracted than if they're having to walk and pay attention to where they are going.

I've seen statistics quoted by the MTR people before to support the "stand still on escalators" idea, but my interpretation has been that they are based on some pretty fundamental misunderstanding of statistics and cause/effect.

Last edited by jgl; 31-08-2015 at 04:47 PM.

whoa stu if that does it then you must be perpetually insane

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Enderman

Bet you're one of those that walk 3-4 abreast on the pavement aren't you?

I always say don't take up the entire freaking pavement you inconsiderate f##ks as I walk past.
    I don't care if there's kids present you don't walk abreast like that. It's selfish
    Are you fucking kidding me Jimbo? A strawman as obvious as that! Lol. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Seriously...

Listen, the footpath mate...there is no rule, that I'm aware of, that says you should stay still and hold the hand rail for safety reasons. It's completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    whoa stu if that does it then you must be perpetually insane

That isn't a smiley, it's an actual video of what I look like whenever I have to use the Mid Levels Escalator.

Looking at it I can see it mouthing "Come on! MOVE!"
    Last edited by Stu79; 31-08-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: More to rant about

Stoob likes this.

A little consideration and manners go a long way, even if not reciprocated, to giving you a happy day!

I avoid the MTR like the plague but on the few occasions I do take it, I usually run up the stairs while all the morons stare transfixed at their phones on the escalator. However you can't do this on the newer MTR lines because they have installed no staircases from the platform to the concourse. SMH.

Skierx likes this.

I think they should put an Octopus card reader halfway up all staircases in the MTR stations. If you take the stairs, you get 5% off your fare (15% during peak travel times). Call it "Stairs for reduced Fares "Scheme.

This scheme would lessen congestion on elevators & promote health & fitness among residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I think they should put an Octopus card reader halfway up all staircases in the MTR stations. If you take the stairs, you get 5% off your fare (15% during peak travel times). Call it "Stairs for reduced Fares "Scheme.

This scheme would lessen congestion on elevators & promote health & fitness among residents.
    That would mean my escalators while I would have to do the stairs with both our Octopus cards to 'doot' the reader.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast