Like Tree231Likes

Disappearing bookshop workers

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

British passport holder?

UK investigating whether missing Hong Kong bookseller has British passport | World news | The Guardian

Cho-man and shri like this.

In that case, mi6 spy then. External forces, etc.
    drumbrake likes this.

Umm...just saw TVB news and the latest is that the wife of the missing person has gone to the police station to request the closing of the case because she claims she has reestablished contact with her husband. The police are however continuing with the case because they have not yet establish any contact with this person.

Meanwhile, a letter alleging to be from the missing person to his wife has surfaced (dated January 3rd 2016) claiming he entered the mainland by "his own methods" and is "assisting an investigation" and that "he is fine". Or at least that is what I can make out from my grasp of Cantonese, which I admit is not perfect:

無綫新聞 - 港聞 - 台媒:李波稱用自己方式返內地配合 查 - tvb.com

But in any case, this all sounds highly dubious to me. This letter may well be written under coercion from mainland police. I'm not convinced of the credibility of this letter. And the wife may well have requested the case closure after someone from the mainland threaten her that unless she do so, she may never see her husband again.

Yes, that is all speculation, but that is perfectly plausible speculation given the circumstances of the prior missing persons and the increasing intolerance of the CCP under Xi.

Last edited by Cho-man; 05-01-2016 at 12:26 AM.
    Open Casket likes this.

C Y Leung being so vocal so early suggests that something is happening.

I suspect photos of sleazy Shenzhen Hotel to appear and wife to stand by her husband who will be sent for re-education for using hotel services that are illegal.

If he does re-appear hopefully he won't get 10 years prison like the other HK book publisher got some time ago for publishing books outside China that offended party leaders.

Last edited by East_coast; 05-01-2016 at 03:28 AM.
    Open Casket and Cho-man like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Using his British passport perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Using his British passport perhaps.
    I thought they wouldn't give someone a visa in a foreign passport if you have a home return permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    I thought they wouldn't give someone a visa in a foreign passport if you have a home return permit?
    Depends which travel document you used to get to the mainland. Quite a number of folks in HK have both a foreign passport and also a home return permit. You can use either one to get to the mainland but not both. If you use the passport, you will need a visa, and the PRC consulate will usually grant one, regardless if you have a home return permit or not. In most cases however, travelers will use the home return permit (because its a lot simpler, no need to get visa and less restrictions on how long you can stay on the mainland etc). However, if you use the home return permit, China will not recognize you as a foreign passport holder and treat you as a Chinese citizen.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 05-01-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1451960273.577265.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  138.0 KB
    Cho-man, Claire ex-ax and Stu79 like this.

Only it is the daughter of Giu Minhai that claims her father has a UK passport, nothing to do with Lee Bo.

Last edited by jaykay; 05-01-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    The Global Times is telling the world to ignore the story. All very strange.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast