Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By East_coast
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey

SCMP - What have you done?!?

Closed Thread

SCMP - What have you done?!?

I thought it was a breaking news / magazine format that I encountered last week .. unfortunately, seems to have spread to other sections too.

Why are news sites insisting on shoving a large "hero image" into our faces, even when we don't want one?

I fought some colleagues on this issue on some content sites / sections and was politely told that I was too old / cranky to appreciate this design format - but the more I see it, the more I dislike it!

Fiona in HKG likes this.

The need to add visual distractions that add near zero value is a trend in all news sites.

For the below article on classroom temperatures.

Why a classroom that’s too warm tires you out, and the best study temperature | South China Morning Post

has a photo of perhaps Asian kids in a classroom and a Google Nest thermostat that adds negative value. Obviously a chart showing the correlation between temperature and learning would of been better (also white light colour or lumens vs learning)

Property prices get a photo of a realtor
    Roadside pollution gets a photo of buses

If there is no photo that adds value then please just use text.

Last edited by East_coast; 22-03-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    shri likes this.

This is what I liked about Twitter, I say 'liked' as Twitter now seems to be full of pictures and videos too...

I can process text much faster than I can process pictures so give me text any day...I hate clicking a story on the BBC and discovering it's 'video only'...I never watch...even TED stuff I usually read the transcript if it's available...

I just hate scmp using pics of low resolution/quality and they blow it up, filling half the page!

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I just hate scmp using pics of low resolution/quality and they blow it up, filling half the page!
    thats much cheaper than writing
    Lord Dashwood likes this.