Like Tree60Likes

Crossing Victoria Harbour by Foot

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Far better to just hand out 6K to all residents .... still can't believe the stupidity of that move.
    It was monumentally stupid. And the sad thing was, according to news reports at that time, that some poor and vulnerable were instantly robbed of their money because unscrupulous landlords decided to up the rents (another thing the government should have done already is implement rent controls so tenants don't have to suffer the Michelin Curse).
    East_coast and Open Casket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    probably wouldn't work in HK but it would be interesting to see what effect it would have
    Just go up north, the mainland Chinese don't have much use for useless street furniture such as lights, pedestrian crossings, etc

Original Post Deleted
    Unfortunately the last big new town developments all followed the models from the 60's where car ownership for the aspiring classes was the goal. The poor don't need cars obviously

Great booklet on Shatin
    http://ebook.lib.hku.hk/HKG/B35835515.pdf
    Last edited by East_coast; 03-04-2016 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    It also has a very large percentage of heavy and light commercial vehicles and in my opinion, an over the top saturation of public buses, which unfortunately impede car traffic. Dog eat dog lack of courtesy to others also doesnt help.

I'd love to see here, what the Germans and Dutch have started doing. Removing all traffic lights and stop/give way signs etc in a few cities, the outcome of which forced drivers to be a lot more careful, especially where there was no sign to instruct them what to do, it forced the driver to use eye contact with other drivers, and thus made the road flow considerably faster and reduced the instance of traffic accidents. What works for the punctual, logical thinking Germans and laid back, easy going Dutch, probably wouldn't work in HK but it would be interesting to see what effect it would have.
    European Towns Remove Traffic Signs to Make Streets Safer | Europe | DW.COM | 27.08.2006

I'd like to see the odd/even number plate idea used on light/heavy commercial vehicles at peak hour times and a rationalisation of some bus routes where they are over serviced.
    You raised an interesting point. The main impediment to a more bicycle-friendly city is not space, but culture. Specifically, the lack of civic awareness or consideration for others. Me-first, out-of-my-way, my-way-or-the-highway mentality that pervades HK is a serious problem.
    Open Casket likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4