Like Tree31Likes

What did Hong Kong do to become so uncool?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hong Kong most connected place in the world – except to reality | South China Morning Post

Alex Lo explains it all re. uncoolness.
    chris_yang22 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    And TVB dramas....
    Lost me there haha.

Original Post Deleted
    Stop flattering urself

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Upward mobility, that's what's the people could achieve if they worked and/or studied hard. 70s, 80, to some extent 90's. Hard nowadays if not impossible.

It's different elsewhere but Hong Kong's perception of cool is money related.

If you live in the most expensive building - you've become the cooling guy ever.
    Fly in a helicopter to work? You're cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    Hong Kong was cool...

Kai Tak Airport
    Kowloon Walled City
    Kung Fu
    Dim Sum carts
    Street Food
    Good shopping (Not luxury) people used to come here for a few days to stock up on tech.
    It's all gone now...the soul has been sucked out of it...
    One of my greatest HKG regrets is never having walked through Kowloon Walled City.
    Lord Dashwood and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    One of my greatest HKG regrets is never having walked through Kowloon Walled City.

Although given that they will have to create a patch of Communist China in the new HSR train station in West Kowloon we may get to see it again...
    civil_servant, R.O., huja and 1 others like this.

Although given that they will have to create a patch of Communist China in the new HSR train station in West Kowloon we may get to see it again...
    Given the historical context of Kowloon Walled city, this is quite funny.
    East_coast and shri like this.

Personally I think Hong Kong's best years line up with the golden era of Cantopop - '80s to the late '90s/early '00s. Cantopop was popular in SEA, had connections with popular Japanese composers in the 90s as well as being popular amongst overseas Chinese immigrants. Hong Kong also used to be a top film producer after Bollywood with all the creatives and kung fu talent in the region. The quality of Cantonese movies/music dropped significantly in the past decade or so, just like the city itself.

Gatts, R.O. and 100LL like this.

What did Hong Kong do to become so uncool? | South China Morning Post

Cool is not made, it just happens. K-Pop and Psy are cool, with J-pop being left behind (I’m told). Animes are still cool; Yao Ming and David Beckham are cool. John Terry (perhaps a better football player) is not cool. Hello Kitty was cool but is now less cool. Ordinary and old is not cool; quaint is cool.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Why do you think Hong Kong is now so un-cool?
    So according to the "journalist" PSY and David Beckham are cool ? well I'd rather not be cool then...
    Kinch and shri like this.