Like Tree166Likes

Belt & Road

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Belt & Road

Everyday the SCMP lauds the great vision of Xi JingPing for his Belt & Road initiative and mocks other countries who have failed to economically and culturally dominate the region.

What is the purpose of 'Belt & Road' and will it work?

I hope someone on here can explain it simply. Its been a mystery to me. I reckon it's just a Chinese version of spin that makes sense to Chinese people !

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I hope someone on here can explain it simply. Its been a mystery to me. I reckon it's just a Chinese version of spin that makes sense to Chinese people !
    My understanding - massive infrastructure project to embrace, extend and perhaps extinguish.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    My understanding - massive infrastructure project to embrace, extend and perhaps extinguish.
    Yes basically my understanding too, massive infrastructure spending to bring countries into the Chinese sphere of influence. Probably better and more effective than the US military spending approach though.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Everyday the SCMP lauds the great vision of Xi JingPing for his Belt & Road initiative and mocks other countries who have failed to economically and culturally dominate the region.

What is the purpose of 'Belt & Road' and will it work?

Love how the map has Taiwan as part of China and includes the nine dash line.

It's like with everything, " harmonious society" the opposite is the case.

"One road", there is no road so they have to built one.
    They have been building roads in Xinjiang for ten years now and want to extend that

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes basically my understanding too, massive infrastructure spending to bring countries into the Chinese sphere of influence.
    Mercantile imperialism that has the added benefit of dumping lots of excess capacity of heavy industries into countries that need it but can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Probably better and more effective than the US military spending approach though.
    Absolutely.

Having better infrastructure in near countries that then owe you lot's of money sounds like a good way to recycle cash spent at Walmart.

Unfortunately most of the risk seems to of been allocated to SEO's.

Not sure what HK can bring to the Mix. Obviously HK should of got the AIIB but that went to Shanghai and HK got more low end tourist and told to be thankful....

As I read this sitting in traffic on a polluted street I wonder why anyone would want to keep building roads. So 20th century -- come on China!

I guess Jack Ma is fulfilling his promises to show China in a positive light with buying SCMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I guess Jack Ma is fulfilling his promises to show China in a positive light with buying SCMP.
    I prefer a newspaper to have news not propaganda. Oh Well. If the bulk of the positive news from China is propaganda that tells the story...
    Elegiaque likes this.

Not sure what HK can bring to the Mix.[/IMG]
    Infrastructure needs services. The better the services on offer, the more successful those projects will be.

For example, take highspeed train stations in China. Big and modern infrastructure, but completely lacking services. Hong Kong can fill that gap.

I prefer a newspaper to have news not propaganda. Oh Well. If the bulk of the positive news from China is propaganda that tells the story...
    I don't see how this is propaganda. It's a slogan, just like it's used in business everywhere.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast