Like Tree100Likes

Water Taxis - Great Idea or another food truck fiasco?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Hopefully the government will build a lot of micro piers around the shoreline with quick charging capabilities to allow a growth in green water taxis.

Below is a video on an Electric water taxi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz724aAHv5U

Although it is easy to predict that the route the government chooses to give to a friendly developer will be for tourists to go to one of its trophy projects.....

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'm talking about viability.

A feasibility study will be conducted to suggest the means. Several things have to be considered such as cost, pollution, harbour congestion, etc.

Are you suggesting I should make up my mind now based on my ideological beliefs?
    I am suggesting it is possible to have an opinion and not wait for the Executive Branch of Government to tell you what to think.

They are far from infallible and have a long history of putting vested interests before the public good and conducting 'consultations' that get the right answer.

It is also possible to critisize the executive branch of Government, you should try it....
    HK_Katherine, Mat and spode like this.

Cyberport to Lamma would be great.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    Cyberport to Lamma would be great.
    Perhaps Lamma to Ap Lei Chau so there is only a short walk to get to the MTR / Bus station in South Horizon?

Many possible routes and impossible to tell which would fail / succeed
    BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I am suggesting it is possible to have an opinion and not wait for the Executive Branch of Government to tell you what to think.

They are far from infallible and have a long history of putting vested interests before the public good and conducting 'consultations' that get the right answer.

It is also possible to critisize the executive branch of Government, you should try it....
    You didn't ask for an opinion. You presented two well-defined dualisms to choose from.

I stated my opinion. The Boston model could work. I think water taxis as they have them in Venice that can go to a specific spot are quite pricey and there isn't nearly enough business along the shoreline in Hong Kong that would justify such cost. For example, I arrive by ferry from China, can I take a water taxi to my hotel as I don't want to carry all my luggage around? Or let's take a water taxi to a club district with plenty of restaurants and entertainment venues. I don't see such opportunities in Hong Kong yet. Tourists will not all of a sudden take very expensive taxi-boat rides just to see the water front, especially if all the tour guides will recommend the $2 star ferry service instead. There are also other problems in Hong Kong such as accessibility to the water front. Infrastructure for foot traffic would have to be adjusted to allow for greater accessibility. It's not as simple as adding micro-piers all over the place.

An Uber-type water taxi can be very expensive thus I think locals would choose alternative transport over water taxis. There's a reason why the Tuen Mun to Central ceased to exist.

You didn't ask for an opinion. You presented two well-defined dualisms to choose from.

I stated my opinion. The Boston model could work. I think water taxis as they have them in Venice that can go to a specific spot are quite pricey and there isn't nearly enough business along the shoreline in Hong Kong that would justify such cost. For example, I arrive by ferry from China, can I take a water taxi to my hotel as I don't want to carry all my luggage around? Or let's take a water taxi to a club district with plenty of restaurants and entertainment venues. I don't see such opportunities in Hong Kong yet. Tourists will not all of a sudden take very expensive taxi-boat rides just to see the water front, especially if all the tour guides will recommend the $2 star ferry service instead. There are also other problems in Hong Kong such as accessibility to the water front. Infrastructure for foot traffic would have to be adjusted to allow for greater accessibility. It's not as simple as adding micro-piers all over the place.

An Uber-type water taxi can be very expensive thus I think locals would choose alternative transport over water taxis. There's a reason why the Tuen Mun to Central ceased to exist.
    Sorry confused. You state a system 'like Boston' then describe a system not like Boston. Guess we'll have to wait until the executive branch state what they think is best and then you can back it
    HK_Katherine and Mat like this.

Sorry confused. You state a system 'like Boston' then describe a system not like Boston. Guess we'll have to wait until the executive branch state what they think is best and then you can back it
    I said if the central harbour front and the cultural district is complete, then it's viable because they'll have businesses along the waterfront then. Until then it's a no-go in my opinion.

So, when are you going to state your opinion? Because until now all you've done is complained about the executive branch and showed us an electric water taxi.

Ap Lei Chau to some point covered in shrubs in Lamma 3.4km away is not feasible for a water taxi service. If you look at the entire Boston system, it covers an area of 2.5 x 2.5 km of very sheltered calm waterfront.

I said if the central harbour front and the cultural district is complete, then it's viable because they'll have businesses along the waterfront then. Until then it's a no-go in my opinion.

So, when are you going to state your opinion? Because until now all you've done is complained about the executive branch and showed us an electric water taxi.

Ap Lei Chau to some point covered in shrubs in Lamma 3.4km away is not feasible for a water taxi service. If you look at the entire Boston system, it covers an area of 2.5 x 2.5 km of very sheltered calm waterfront.
    Boston's system has many nodes and you describe a system with few nodes. Oh well.

The government should only build the infrastructure and make sure the vessels are safe. They should not choose routes, rate or operating times. Given the amount of concrete poured in HK on white elephants in the last 15 years a few extra tonnes on creating a system allowing competition in transport would be good.

The focus should be on how to benefit Hong Kong not just tourists...

The government should only build the infrastructure and make sure the vessels are safe. They should not choose routes, rate or operating times.
    Boston water taxi at your service:

Our water taxis are available whenever you are. Just call 617.227.4320 and we’ll pick you up at any waterfront location in about 10 minutes. Your hotel concierge can also arrange a pick-up. Get on the water, on demand, with BHC Water Taxi service. 

Boston's system has many nodes and you describe a system with few nodes. Oh well.
    Many nodes over a small area. West Kowloon Cultural district and Central Harbourfront can have many nodes as well. Think nursery park, palace museum, xiqu centre, China ferry terminal, Harbour city, TST waterfront on one side, central ferry pier, tamar park, event space, convention centre on the other side. It would be very viable start and then expand from there. Nodes need to be densely packed in order to have it operational as a taxi service and to keep costs low. Otherwise you'll run into the same trouble as with taxis now. North point? I don't want to go there. Too far.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 15-10-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Many possible routes and impossible to tell which would fail / succeed
    Open it up, the market forces will answer that pretty damn quickly.

Bring back the old ladies and sampans and let them work their charm...
    East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast