Like Tree51Likes

About traffic congestion in HK

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    That's a silly argument.
    It is not an argument. TD data states peak tunnel usage is similar now as compared to a year ago

First of all, peak traffic in Aberdeen tunnel seems to occur between 8am and 9am.
    Not according to TD data. Although the granularity of the measure is by the hour on the hour. The peak traffic throughput is probably 7:20 to 8:20 but for a full hour it is 7:00-8:00

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It is not an argument. TD data states peak tunnel usage is similar now as compared to a year ago

Not according to TD data. Although the granularity of the measure is by the hour on the hour. The peak traffic throughput is probably 7:20 to 8:20 but for a full hour it is 7:00-8:00
    I already told you. Peak traffic is not decided by throughput. Check Google's traffic data. It's much more jammed between 8 and 9am. More traffic equals less throughput.

I already told you. Peak traffic is not decided by throughput. Check Google's traffic data. It's much more jammed between 8 and 9am. More traffic equals less throughput.
    Yes your probably right congestion hasn't been alleviated at peak times since the opening of the MTR line.

Obviously by adjusting the tolls these peaks could be leveled but this hase been known and not acted on by the transport department for 25+ years.

Also some suggest the current merging ahead of the tunnel is not optimised.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHHNoOltV28

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    That video is nonsense. If there's one thing Hong Kong drivers get right, it's the zipper merge which is the most efficient. In the video above, you create a right of way, thus people will assert their dominance leaving the waiting party no choice but to engage in aggressive and therefore risky maneuvers or be forced to wait forever.

Also, the bottleneck is the tunnel, not the merging of the lanes. The example of the balls is terrible. Cars are not pulled by gravity at constant speed. The lines to merge are also quite good. There's no three car merge at any one spot. You can also see that on Google maps. There are 7 lanes. First 2|3 and 4|5 merge leaving a total of 5, then 3|4 leaving a total of 4, then 1|2 and 3|4 leaving 2.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.3015.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Last edited by civil_servant; 02-02-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    MandM! likes this.

That video is nonsense. If there's one thing Hong Kong drivers get right, it's the zipper merge which is the most efficient. In the video above, you create a right of way, thus people will assert their dominance leaving the waiting party no choice but to engage in aggressive and therefore risky maneuvers or wait forever.

Also, the bottleneck is the tunnel, not the merging of the lanes. The example of the balls is terrible. Cars are not pulled by gravity. The lines to merge are also quite good. There's no three car merge at any one spot. You can also see that on Google maps. There are 7 lanes. First 2|3 and 4|5 merge leaving a total of 5, then 3|4 leaving a total of 4, then 1|2 and 3|4 leaving 2.

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.3015.../data=!3m1!1e3
    perhaps, but the distance is possibly too short and the Autotoll lanes too free flowing for an effective zipper merge. I'll bow to your greater wisdom

Make both sides of the tunnel one direction during peak hour!

Lower West/East tunnel non-peak hour toll prices. Peak/Non-peak pricing

Hi all
    I would like to thank everyone for your help in filling in my internet survey.
    I have received about 20 since posting here, thank you very much!

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 8004survey:
    Hi all
    I would like to thank everyone for your help in filling in my internet survey.
    I have received about 20 since posting here, thank you very much!
    What did you garner?

So far I only have about 50 response, which is not far from enough.
    But I will let everyone know my results upon the survey is complete, my target is about 150 response, thank you

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7