Like Tree53Likes

Typhoon Mangkhut - Aftermath and recovery: What's the situation?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    This is unfortunate. Plant/tree debris didn't necessarily need to be deposited at rubbish sites. It could be piled (where space allows) and left as compost or until later.

The public works folks are doing a good job, they even cleared some of the major trees from bike path. The rubbish is diminishing little by little.

One thing is for sure I've never missed having a chainsaw as much as I do now...

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Over here in Sai Kung it's only been the local community clearing up together in the villages and people getting together to help in the main areas. The effort, especially where I live, has been huge.
    In fairness in my part of Sai Kung the clean up has been a mixture of both community and workers. I have nothing but admiration for the clean up effort so far. As other posters have said elsewhere would have been whinge whinge whinge. Here the vast majority rolled up sleeves and dealt with it.

In my village long before the typhoon I was struggling to cut back some overgrown bamboo. Quite unannounced two neighbours that I’d barely spoken to (locals) came out to assist and clean up afterwards
    Cornmeal, jgl and East_coast like this.

BTW if someone out my way is missing a parrot, I saw it fly over my place this morning...

dumbdonkey likes this.

Wild boar attack in Che Ha Village; man taken to hospital – SAI KUNG BUZZ
    Seems to be more wild boars digging through trash lately due to the typhoon aftermath? Saw a couple of them last week, one at Parkview.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    In my village long before the typhoon I was struggling to cut back some overgrown bamboo. Quite unannounced two neighbours that I’d barely spoken to (locals) came out to assist and clean up afterwards
    Agree. Round my way one old lady was struggling to get into her house the neighbours all helped clear a path.

If you need help I find Hong Konger's exceptionally good. If you want help that is a different story.

Overall HK and HK Gov has done a fantastic job of getting on with it

Education Secretary Kevin Yeung said on Friday that almost a thousand schools and kindergartens which have asked for help to repair damage caused by Severe Typhoon Mangkhut last September will finally get the funds this month.

The government announced shortly after the huge storm that primary and secondary schools could apply for special grants of up to HK$150,000, while kindergartens could seek up to HK$50,000.

Money for schools finally coming after Mangkhut - RTHK

https://saikungbuzz.hk/2019/01/aband...ut-to-be-moved
    the Marine Department (MD) have still not been able to locate the owner after four months.
    Sai Kung District Council chairman George Ng Sze-fuk, confirmed that they had completed the tender, and will employ a company to dismantle the boat and carry it away by road... did not disclose the cost of the project and whether it was being paid for by public funds.
    Although the boat is worth a lot of money, local sailors say that it was effectively never used or maintained, and many assume it was part of a money laundering exercise.

Ha! The police cones are back up at the bus terminal around the tree that didn't fall.

Still lots of trees on the sides of Ting Kok Road that need to be cleared, but they were doing some removal preparation last week...

Celebrations break out in Pok Fu Lam..

Name:  Screenshot_20191009-140823.png
Views: 202
Size:  45.8 KB

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast