Like Tree33Likes

Smashed Window from Typhoon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Excellent - two weeks rent free seems reasonable and I'm glad you had a fair outcome.

shri and rainylin like this.

He offered us half a month rent free and is taking care of the room, repainting it and replacing the soaked mattress. The matter at hand is resolved and pleased with the outcome.
    Glad that worked out. Not all landlords are evil.
    TheBrit and Viktri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:

Our rooms have large windows which I don't think many understand. Sizing is at least 2 meters by 2 meters, not exactly small.
    Yes, pretty much all of the windows you see in the pics of broken windows are quite large, not a great design for high winds. I directly face the sea (maybe 6 meters away) and the window area is 8 smaller windows...time to rethink these big window designs or only use a stronger glass in such big openings.

Glad it's working out for you and please take out some rental insurance, it is only a few hundred dollars and covers a month of hotel bills in such circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    What a crock of shit jimbo. You're blaming the tenants for letting the windows be smashed in by a typhoon because they didn't tape them? This is the same typhoon that uprooted trees and turned cars over and you think a few yards of masking tape is going to make any difference? Get real.
    Taping reduces the risk of smashing to pieces as opposed to cracking dickhead.

They made no effort to minimise risk, didnt even move valuables to another room etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Taping reduces the risk of smashing to pieces as opposed to cracking dickhead.

They made no effort to minimise risk, didnt even move valuables to another room etc.
    Taping does nothing. Apart from waste tape and leave you with annoying residues to clean up.

Another room? A windowless room? You really have no idea do you jimbo?
    Viktri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I also applied online and got an immediate policy...now, I have not had to claim anything so can't say how good that process is...

My biggest fear was a leak of some kind (like from the toilet) wrecking the place and it being "my fault" somehow and being liable for the repairs...so I made sure I was covered for that.

FWIW...MSIG insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Taping does nothing. Apart from waste tape and leave you with annoying residues to clean up.

Another room? A windowless room? You really have no idea do you jimbo?
    I see you are once again using your charming ways to disagree. There was a study published that was posted earlier that suggests that taping does do something though it's obviously not foolproof. But hey, since the great lord disagrees, it must be nonsense and a load of shit as usual.

Whether it actually works or not is not necessarily the issue either. Since it is recommended on the HKO website, insurance companies and landlord could certainly use it against you. Good luck using your charm and getting your money by telling the insurance company or the landlord they are full of shit when they wave the government recommendation in your face.
    Last edited by Golem; 22-09-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I see you are once again using your charming ways to disagree. There was a study published that was posted earlier that suggests that taping does do something though it's obviously not foolproof. But hey, since the great lord disagrees, it must be nonsense and a load of shit as usual.

Whether it actually works or not is not necessarily the issue either. Since it is recommended on the HKO website, insurance companies and landlord could certainly use it against you. Good luck using your charm and getting your money by telling the insurance company or the landlord they are full of shit when they wave the government recommendation in your face.
    Zzzzzzz if you think taping a window stops it smashing and stops water entering the room then there isn't really anything more to be said. As for insurance company, the OP does not have any - so you are talking out of your arse. Even your excessive charm is unlikely to work on an insurance company you don't have a policy with

As for the landlord, he already agreed to give two weeks rent free. So, you are talking out of your arse again.

Don't let the facts stand in the way of the world according to Golem though.

The world according to me? More like the other way around. The HK government and HKO post these guidelines... It may not be relevant to this particular case however in general, your approach would likely fail miserably. Though you never know, some people do back down from bullies.

It seems very hard for you not to be vulgar and offensive... Sad really.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3