Like Tree63Likes

Policy Address 2018 - What do you expect?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Random tangent: The ITV show "Strangers" shows cops smoking and drinking in uniform, in these bars.
    That is just nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I'm going with the long shot of "innovation" how HK will integrate with the greater Greater Bay Area be the Silicon Valley for China, yada yada. They approved those visas for more tech people, my own visa was approved with little effort (everyone wants patents...particularly US patents), and it's a constant contest with Singapore about being a high tech hub.
    Corrected it for you
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I was pretty happy with one of my Bingo Cards (I bought 20)

Most looked like the below

Don't see "hub" on the cards, think there will be mention of at least one
    East_coast and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Don't see "hub" on the cards, think there will be mention of at least one
    The other cards I picked up had
    - Hub
    - Subsidy
    - Task Force
    - Committee
    - Trade War

Anyway we are off

9 x'Innovations' so far
    3 x Rule of Law
    12 x Housing (no actual policy just blather)

And it's all over......

Anything important?

Taking more private housing land to make into public housing. Must keep those prices up

Original Post Deleted

agree out of the expat areas (i.e. LKF), smoking in bars are pretty rampant. havent had any major problems in restaurants (apart from 1 hotpot restaurant in tai kok tsui)

eg in my ex-local bar in taikoktsui area, it was pretty rampant. it was actually a nice one too and not one of those seedier establishments (http://barwithus.com/visaa.html).

to the government's credit, i actually made a complaint and they came down to investigate and ended up prosecuting some customers who had done so.

but the issue is the way the law is written - the establishment is not responsible / not fined. hence why they still tolerate it. they should fine the establishment - and soon we will see this issue go away.

Maternity leave increased from 10 - 14 weeks would seem to be the one that affects most ordinary Hong Kongers...

'Strengthening child care'???

Developers must provide, I think she said, breast feeding rooms in all new builds?

I play in the local darts league and smoking is prevalent in every single bar that I have played in over the last 3 years including our home bar. In fact there have been off duty police officers smoking in there on occasion.

I have been in these bars on more than one occasion when they have been raided by the police, they make a half hearted effort to clear the ash trays before they arrived as they get warned by other bars that they are on the way. They don't care about the smoking though, they are just checking for underaged drinkers.

TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    NRT including patches are akin to guns and heroin?

Scientists question if a daily dose of the well-known alkaloid is as benign as caffeine

Oh well, at least this may help keep some expats distracted while giving the rulers yet another potential tool in their prosecution arsenal. Maybe a neighbour catches a glimpse of a foreign journalist vaping at home and calls a government's informant hotline leading to a house search and quick deportation?
    East_coast likes this.

For HNB and vape users, this policy does not mean anything to them (aside you can't buy them legally). I'm currently listening the Carrie Lam's press conference and this issue was brought up in that the new policy will ban import, manufacture, selling, supplying and advertising these products, but does not ban usage. This will be reviewed when it gets to Legco and a solution 'fitting for the public' will be decided upon.

So apart from driving prices up in the black market, it actually makes absolutely no difference to IQOS users. The police have no right to stop you using it, suppliers will get shut down when discovered, nothing new.

shri, East_coast and Kowloon Goon like this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast