Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile

Basic Law - another article in the bin

Closed Thread

Exactly which part of the Article was violated?
    Be specific please....

Yeah, this seemed a pretty clear experiment in the PLA operating - completely innocuously, in this case - independently in Hong Kong. Another situation where doing the right thing - HKSAR gov requests assistance, central government provides it, everybody is happy and smiley - would have been pretty easy...

OP the HK Government were informed. Read the article you posted again.

He said the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department had been informed beforehand.

Crying wolf only weakens the message when something serious does occur.

Original Post Deleted
    Being pedantic I feel. Have you never been asked or requested to do something at work? Been consulted? Of all the things to worry about clearing trees does not seem major.

Original Post Deleted
    Do you think Beijing gives a toss? Abduct people off the street, squash protesters using the law (assaulting police with their breasts), ban parties. If they wanted to put the PLA on the streets they just would. Subtelty is not a strong point of those up north is it? If they did put the PLA on the streets of HK nobody would do anything significant about it.
    SpeakCantonese likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    There is a big gap up to "rolling the tanks in". Of course Taiwan are watching, but what are they going to do? What is the US going to do? Zilch, just a few tough words.

Original Post Deleted
    There is no need to roll the tanks in but if they felt there was I am sure they would and salami slices would be off the menu. IMHO it is not a strategy of salami slices just there is no real opposition local or international. They can and will do what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There is no need to roll the tanks in but if they felt there was I am sure they would and salami slices would be off the menu. IMHO it is not a strategy of salami slices just there is no real opposition local or international. They can and will do what they like.
    But much better to do it slowly so the populace are less likely to make a fuss. Hard to stir up a crowd because the PLA cleared some trees up even though the action showed the Liaison Office works not as a liaison office but directly managing propaganda events. Next time it will be...

Original Post Deleted
    I think there is more than a creeping erosion. I don't think there is a policy of creeping erosion, just moving at the speed they see fit. If it needs to be faster it will be faster. I don't think they care what the populace think and even less so the international audience.