Like Tree19Likes

Chinese dissident author’s talks at HK Arts Centre cancelled

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Oh yes of course an unrelated whataboutery reply on the US, classic stuff.
    If a country that is supposed to represent freedom blocks people at the border, why should it be a surprise that an authoritarian country with very little freedom interferes with one of its possession. You make me laugh when talking about the basic law or the handover agreement. Who exactly is supposed to enforce this agreement? What happens if China decides tomorrow to scrap the Basic Law? HK has very little power to stand up to China and can only hope to continue to exist relatively free on the goodwill of China. You may dislike it but it shouldn't come as a surprise and in my opinion is to be expected. To think otherwise is foolish and naive.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Found the quote - yes, he is a permanent resident.

I'd be VERY worried if he is not let in.
    Yes it would be fair to worry since your site facilitate and even encourages to a certain extent a lot of criticism towards China. There may come a time when they decide to crack down on it and you could be caught in the crossfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Yes it would be fair to worry since your site facilitate and even encourages to a certain extent a lot of criticism towards China. There may come a time when they decide to crack down on it and you could be caught in the crossfire.
    Well played. I see you are playing your cards correctly for sure.
    Mefisto and TheBrit like this.

Well the SCMP starts deleting all negative comments as well we should worry. There is still some press freedom in HK. Just not for Chinese dissidents. Or British journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    I give you one thing, your forum name is very apt.
    Mefisto, kimwy66, shri and 1 others like this.

In the mean time..he has been let through.

https://twitter.com/majian53/status/...833508352?s=20

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Red Dust is a great read. Highly recommended.