View Poll Results: Allow foreign doctors & nurses to work in HK?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 84.00%
  • No

4 16.00%
Like Tree23Likes

Allow foreign doctors & nurses to work in HK?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Allow foreign doctors & nurses to work in HK?

Not ideal time to talk about overseas doctors: CE - RTHK
    Carrie Lam said doctors are very busy now and it is not good to start talking about overseas doctors at this point.
    'Woman attacks nurse over delay at hospital' - RTHK
    ...a 41-year-old woman pushed over a nurse in the hospital's accident and emergency department because she was unhappy at how long her 10-year-old son had been waiting to see a doctor.

Like other industries, this is full of vested interests, protecting current doctors and keeping scarcity in the profession. HK doctors do in general have very high quality, but they are also among the best paid in the world. This kind of protection and management of keeping the pool of new students low, is actually common in many other countries. Therefore students in most countries needs perfect test scores to even apply. I always found it so strange that politicians allow this to go on in so many counties. So many want to study to be doctors, but so few are allowed..

MABinPengChau and Coolboy like this.

Doctors from Commonwealth countries should have an expedited pathway to recognition so they can practise in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    Doctors from Commonwealth countries should have an expedited pathway to recognition so they can practise in HK.
    Yes, I can see HK being very open to doctors from India. Lets start with them recruiting minorities in HK to fill the "driver shortage" first.

(I do know some very very successful docs from India who have been here for decades.. but thats another issue.)
    Kowloon Goon, TheBrit and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    This will never happen as it includes people from South Asia and Africa and if they won't sit next to us on trains I doubt they are going to jump for joy at us doing surgery on them.

I don't see why they can't open overseas recruitment only in specific specialties where the shortages are acute, and require them to work in the public sector only.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    This will never happen as it includes people from South Asia and Africa and if they won't sit next to us on trains I doubt they are going to jump for joy at us doing surgery on them.

I don't see why they can't open overseas recruitment only in specific specialties where the shortages are acute, and require them to work in the public sector only.
    It wasn't an issue pre-1997. There were a lot of foreign Drs in the Gov't hospitals. Dr Ghosh, Dr Sally Ferguson all started at Queen Mary hospital.
    merchantms likes this.

the lady who attacked the nurse is such a bitch. People like her have exacerbated the problem. My son had flu like symptoms and we had to wait up to 5 hours before he was seen by a dr. If you want immediate assistance for him emergency situation then Fuck off to a private hospital.

It's not a great solution to bring doctors and nurses that don't speak the language that 95% of the population speak particularly in public hospitals. The idea of allowing overseas HK doctors to practice makes more sense. It should be an inherent right to have the opportunity to be treated in your native language in your own country/state. Reverse the situation and imagine yourself in a western country like the US or the UK and being treated by someone who speaks no English. Heck, I don't know how many posts I've seen here asking for all kinds of practitioners that speak English well. Long term solution is to try to train more students in HK in local university. Looking to China might be an option but that's also politically loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    It's not a great solution to bring doctors and nurses that don't speak the language that 95% of the population speak particularly in public hospitals. The idea of allowing overseas HK doctors to practice makes more sense. It should be an inherent right to have the opportunity to be treated in your native language in your own country/state. Reverse the situation and imagine yourself in a western country like the US or the UK and being treated by someone who speaks no English. Heck, I don't know how many posts I've seen here asking for all kinds of practitioners that speak English well. Long term solution is to try to train more students in HK in local university. Looking to China might be an option but that's also politically loaded.
    There are usually quite a few exchange doctors knocking around the public hospitals on 2-6 months programmes. They seem to fair OK but agreed ideally Hong Kong should be producing a surplus of Doctors not an artificial shortage.

Original Post Deleted
    It is not really the establishment position as they are very willing to allow student doctors to practice in public hospitals on short term placements so it really isn't a language issue.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast