Like Tree34Likes

new street lamps and camera

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thr grittier areas of Hong Kong have the worst street lighting as well as organised and petty crime. Much of this is under the radar but blights the lives of the poorest in society living terrible conditions and surrounded by racketeering type crimes.

Studies have shown that better street lighting can reduce crime by upto 41%

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10....78280103300102

Should the government spend our money of lamp posts with WIFI or just plain old better lighting for the districts that need it. The answer is obvious.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...unctional-lamp

https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default...H&v=1563325652

One of the most confusing is the scan the code to see where you are. Why not just write the relative location on the sign like the rest of HK street signs. Like the below informs people this section of road is #30 - #4 Pine Street

Jackie1 likes this.

More room for my start-up client, whose HK short-term patent has been granted, written well over a year ago and I ominously entitled it "urban control system..." 1984-like title on that one.

civil_servant likes this.

Another opportunity bites the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Another opportunity bites the dust.
    Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to benefits in a concise or comprehensible way.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    More room for my start-up client, whose HK short-term patent has been granted, written well over a year ago and I ominously entitled it "urban control system..." 1984-like title on that one.
    1984 is exactly what sprung to mind! I wonder if this is widely read in Hong Kong secondary schools... If it is banned in the mainland..

Can you explain the lost opportunity of this technology. What was the benefit to the public for this public expenditure? I did speak to the team at some length and they weren't able to benefits in a concise or comprehensible way.
    Feel free to read any of the patent applications about it, they are public- I focused on things like dynamic control of street lights depending on traffic patterns, dispatch of emergency personnel (police, fire, ambulance), interaction with autonomous vehicles (albeit, quite a bit in the future on this part...). Pretty benign stuff but, looking back on what I wrote (detecting unusual crowds, etc.) seems spooky in retrospect. But the government (transport dept? I forget who...) put out the request for proposals and there was a fair bit of interest in it. I also had a line in the application about creating a "digital twin" of the city and potential use in gaming and VR. Also charging stations, pollution monitoring, natural disaster alerts, real-time analysis of road surface conditions, (that could be linked to dynamic control of speed limits).

Some of it more "way in the future" than other stuff. Probably Singapore is doing this so HK feels the need to play catch-up...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    I can see where the technology of knowing how many people are passing at a certain time, monitoring traffic, monitoring pollution, could be helpful, but it is the 1984 surveillance- (think facial recognition) tied to political ends that supports thought control, suppresses freedom of speech, and leads to things such as the DragonAir firing for political opinions -that makes it seem not worth the tradeoff. Widespread debate and disagreement on use of facial recognition software and policing throughout the world.