Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ren32
  • 1 Post By GeoTommy

Shock & sadness as travel agency popular with domestic helpers folds

Closed Thread

Shock & sadness as travel agency popular with domestic helpers folds

Shock and sadness as Free Spirit Travel, Hong Kong travel agency popular with Indonesian domestic helpers, folds
    Closure causes disruption for 460 travellers and leaves them HK$1.2 million out of pocket
    Ira, who had worked in Hong Kong for almost seven years, slid down into a squat against the wall and cried.
    “I’m very sad. I haven’t been home for three years. I have a son and daughter back home. I bought presents for them already,”
    hullexile likes this.

I just hope someone helps them. They just dont deserve this. Its awful

Fiona in HKG likes this.

This government don't care about the welfare of 'helpers'. They do so much more in protecting their rights. Modern day slavery.

HK$2600 per person - sounds about right for a cheap ticket to the Philippines.

Amazing how tight their budgets are - go overseas, and then plan your home trip 3 years down the line. One day off per week.

A real tragedy for those that have kids at home - and those that will never have kids because of years wasted in domestic service.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    HK$2600 per person - sounds about right for a cheap ticket to the Philippines.

Amazing how tight their budgets are - go overseas, and then plan your home trip 3 years down the line. One day off per week.

A real tragedy for those that have kids at home - and those that will never have kids because of years wasted in domestic service.
    Its sad and these types of companies are scum, to still be accepting money and not plan on offering services.

I hope some of the employers step in and pay for the helpers flights back. HK$2600 (or $5000 as in the article) is just a nice meal out for a family.