Like Tree1201Likes

07/19 - July Protests & Related News

Closed Thread
  1. #1501

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Bottom line, the rule of law applies to all in HK, including villagers, if we keep increasing special allowances to villagers, then we might as well...
    ...expect more acts like this.

    Because government policy and action towards these de facto independent areas has been privilege and blind eyes.

    Yes, very ironic situation.

    (Gosh, going to live in the French countryside now sounds rather boring​.)

  2. #1502

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    ...expect more acts like this.

    Because government policy and action towards these de facto independent areas has been privilege and blind eyes.

    Yes, very ironic situation.

    (Gosh, going to live in the French countryside now sounds rather boring​.)
    That is going to be increasingly hard to sustain though if those villagers/triad members abuse their privileges by attacking innocent citizens. And that is going to have an adverse impact on international confidence in HK.

  3. #1503

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That is going to be increasingly hard to sustain though if those villagers/triad members abuse their privileges by attacking innocent citizens. And that is going to have an adverse impact on international confidence in HK.
    I don't think so... It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but they've gotten away with so much as it is, including land rights. I find the average Hong Kong student tends to be a bit ignorant about this if they don't come from the NT.

  4. #1504

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    20,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    That is going to be increasingly hard to sustain though if those villagers/triad members abuse their privileges by attacking innocent citizens.
    They were not abusing their privileges . They were doing as they had been asked, and will expect to be rewarded for that. I would expect patronage to increase towards the HKY if they keep following instructions to do what the police can't be seen to be doing.
    Gatts likes this.

  5. #1505

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I don't think so... It was a pretty stupid thing to do, but they've gotten away with so much as it is, including land rights. I find the average Hong Kong student tends to be a bit ignorant about this if they don't come from the NT.
    Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

  6. #1506

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,415
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    They were not abusing their privileges . They were doing as they had been asked, and will expect to be rewarded for that. I would expect patronage to increase towards the HKY if they keep following instructions to do what the police can't be seen to be doing.


    No, they are indeed abusing their privileges. Their original "mission" was to target the protesters, but they attacked anyone they saw, including the commuters. That damages the HK government's international reputation. Multinational firms are going to reconsider investing in HK if they do not have confidence that the government can control these gangs properly. How do these firms know these gangs will not target their office next? Or their retail outlet? That may not be their original purpose instructed by the CCP operatives, but these gangs can use to opportunity to extort, attack or destroy other businesses who just happened to be "in the way".

  7. #1507

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,775

    Aimed at some posters here who still have trouble digesting the Yuen Long terror attack:

    https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/sta...874041344?s=19

    timonoj and TigerSun like this.

  8. #1508

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    709

    [deleted]

    Last edited by nivek2046; 30-07-2019 at 12:25 PM.

  9. #1509

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /home/timonoj
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Aimed at some posters here who still have trouble digesting the Yuen Long terror attack:

    https://twitter.com/JeromeTaylor/sta...874041344?s=19
    Thanks...I was waiting for the NYT video analsis of all the videos we have seen recently. They've been doing a good job for some years already on this. Not on youtube yet though.

  10. #1510

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    32,735

    Its almost August ... shutting this down (do need to distrupt this thread as its getting rather difficult to keep an eye on)

    NYT Video Discussion
    August Protests
    "Solutions" to HK's Problems