Like Tree160Likes

2019 District Council Elections

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The vitriol Mr Wong gets from the highly aligned social media commentators it is hard to see HK Gov persuading Beijing to let him run.
    Last time the whole supporting the possible, perhaps, maybe independence concept through advocating the very normal concept of self determination was clearly tenuous at best. I don't think it matters if they want to ban him they will.

It is now 2 - nil to the protesters.

Bill Withdrawn and no thought police shenanigans from the returning officer. Possible 3-Nil is Mrs Lam really is a lame duck

So, in Hong Kong the default position is that no one can stand in an election unless specifically approved by a spurious political commissar?

Xinqi Su:

Will Demosisto's Joshua Wong become the one and only pro-democracy candidate banned from running in the first major election since #HongKongProtests broke out in June?
    All validated candidates are due to be introduced to public in a few hours tonight.

https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status...22673648058368

Joshua Wong @joshuawongcf’s District Council candidacy still not confirmed. So he went to returning officers’ office to demand answers. Responsible electoral office Dorothy Ma interestingly was not in office.

Just in: returning officer Dorothy Ma was confirmed sick and on leave. Chatters within AOs point to Ma was on leave since Tues. Acting district officer from Yau Ma Tei will assume the post as returning officer, that will determine the fate of @joshuawongcf.

The appointment of returning officer from YMT acting also as Southern District RO will come effect today "until further notice", while Dorothy Ma is on leave.
    AsianXpat0 and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    So, in Hong Kong the default position is that no one can stand in an election unless specifically approved by a spurious political commissar?

Xinqi Su:

https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status...22673648058368
    Dorothy, wakie wakie, all of HK and quite a lot of people outside HK are watching and now you take leave.

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Dorothy, wakie wakie, all of HK and quite a lot of people outside HK are watching and now you take leave.
    Uh, maybe that's precisely why she felt the need to be on leave. I think you might be sick too if your political masters wanted one thing, and your plans included being overseas in future if things turn south.
    shri, jgl, drumbrake and 3 others like this.

Mefisto likes this.

".. but who watches the political commissars...?"

https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status...93523722133505

It may not be an altogether fun gig though unless one is a sociopath or a marxist zealot.

Which reminds me, do the United Front candicates like Goonius get obedience-vetted by these "returning officers" too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mefisto:
    It may not be an altogether fun gig though unless one is a sociopath or a marxist zealot.

Which reminds me, do the United Front candicates like Goonius get obedience-vetted by these "returning officers" too?
    Jeez ... give her a f'ing chance will ya. I mean you can mess around anonymously, but at least give the ones who do not have anonymity a chance? You're doing exactly what you're accusing people of doing.
    jgl likes this.

The lady in charge of Project Joshua Wong was indicated to be of liberal leaning and may simply wish to not to be involved in the political vetting charade. If that is indeed the case I can only feel sorry for her.

If it was up to me, none of these political commissars would be "given a f'ing chance" because the whole concept is a travesty.

However, who vets (or appoints) the vetters? Considering their power over the electoral process why wouldn't their background be of general interest?

edit: If your issue was with the general comment "it may not be an altogether fun gig though unless one is a sociopath or a marxist zealot"; how would you express that more clearly?

Last edited by Mefisto; 24-10-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Ok lah, you win.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast