View Poll Results: Should China retain WTO Developing Country Status?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It is still a developing country

3 42.86%
  • No - It has sufficient resources and mature systems

3 42.86%
  • It doesn't matter

1 14.29%
  • Stop with these stupid question

0 0%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By East_coast
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By Elefant&Castle

World Trade Organisation (WTO) “developing country” status for China - Valid?

Closed Thread

World Trade Organisation (WTO) “developing country” status for China - Valid?

There has been an economic miracle in China since Deng adopted more capitalistic polices.

Should it still retain the “developing country” country status with the WTO?

What's that little blue spot in Africa on the current map?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What's that little blue spot in Africa on the current map?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-by-oil-riches
    shri likes this.

Is China still a developing country overall, outside of the Tier 1 cities: Yes
    Should they be allowed to benefit from lower tariffs and market protection while fixing their currency and buying influence overseas: No

I think they are still a developing country strictly from a development level.

Edit: Apparently Singapore and South Korea also have developing country status, but without abusing the benefits

hin23leung and Coolboy like this.

The map is wrong, Eritrea did not exist in 1980. neither did South Sudan , which is accurately reflected.
    And a few others mistakes. So I doubt the GDP figures are accurate if they can't get basic things done

I think it was clear in 2001 when China joined WTO, that it did not fulfill the requirements, e.g. market access to all other WTO members.There was a hope that this would follow, and encourage China to become more open and democratic, e.g. Clinton:

https://www.iatp.org/sites/default/f....htmSupporting

China's entry into the W.T.O., however, is about more than our economic interests; it is clearly in our larger national interest. It represents the most significant opportunity that we have had to create positive change in China since the 1970's, when President Nixon first went there, and later in the decade when President Carter normalized relations. I am working as hard as I can to convince Congress and the American people to seize this opportunity.
    That has not happened - particularly under Xi.

I'm not an economist, but it is an interesting topic. I recently followed this course by Albert Park from HKUST (free).

https://www.coursera.org/learn/econtransform1
    shri likes this.