Like Tree410Likes

08/19 - Part 2 - August Protests & News

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    And this one from the ED of the Justice Center.

https://twitter.com/piyamuqit/status...03081694109696
    Taking the protesters to this facility makes tactical sense as the cops then dont need to prepare for the eventuality that an angry crowd gathers outside the station where the detainees are being held.
    chuckster007 and MatthieuTofu like this.

No wonder they brought the senior police guy out of retirement.

Coolboy and MatthieuTofu like this.

Not sure if this is the video that was taken down, but this is the incident.

https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/s...33077573361664
    That is tough to watch, the police taking out their frustration on anyone they catch which is very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    That is tough to watch, the police taking out their frustration on anyone they catch which is very wrong.
    Both sides are tired and frustrated to the max. Both sides are being provoked to escalate.

Which side can realistically act like grown ups and call a timeout?

Not sure if this is the video that was taken down, but this is the incident.

https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/s...33077573361664
    Yes that is the clip. There is a longer version up on youtube now (HKFP) - 4 minutes if you can stomach it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dyYDyb7N1k
    Coolboy, Mefisto and MatthieuTofu like this.

Both sides are tired and frustrated to the max. Both sides are being provoked to escalate.

Thats because the government aka Mrs Sheep and her herd have done nothing to mitigate, control, listen, provide vision of future. Someone called my views fatalistic but I am afraid it is becoming the reality.. China has allowed Hong Kong to paddle along letting HK believe there is such a thing as a future outside of China. Thats all just an optical illusion... I believe now they just decided to move up the timetable as they cannot and will not allow Hong Kong to stay rebellious. And so they will continue to provoke and escalate

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm
    Thats because the government aka Mrs Sheep and her herd have done nothing to mitigate, control, listen, provide vision of future. Someone called my views fatalistic but I am afraid it is becoming the reality.. China has allowed Hong Kong to paddle along letting HK believe there is such a thing as a future outside of China. Thats all just an optical illusion... I believe now they just decided to move up the timetable as they cannot and will not allow Hong Kong to stay rebellious. And so they will continue to provoke and escalate
    The Hong Kong I came to and call home is gone, it probably left some time ago but only now can I see it... ?? breaking.

The logical answer would have been Lam herself. In any same jurisdiction, the leader would step in and at least try to reach some sort of solution. But in this case, she is fanning the flames herself and supporting the police crackdown. This will get increasingly ugly. I suppose one can even argue she has lost any sort of political legitimacy to rule and is simply a puppet dictator from Beijing. Might as well drop any pretense of a SAR government and let Sai Wan directly rule HK in that case

And nobody has contemplated the consequences of many hundreds (perhaps eventually reaching thousands) of protesters going through the legal process and the burden this places on the criminal justice system. Especially now with questions of entrapment, police brutality and lack of due process (denied access to lawyers), this will pose a challenge to the judges.

Of course, some are now suggesting the protesters may simply disappear across the border to the mainland. But we are not talking about a few booksellers who were kidnapped to the mainland here. We are talking about many many protestors. HK can kiss it's rule of law goodbye in that case.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

and again it escalates, this is only going to lead to serious issues for markets and international business in HK - no one is buying the propaganda being pushed out with these images of police acting as PLA

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    All this protesting about the Extradition law, China doesnt need it, they just tell HK to place people near the border in the closed area and miraculously they will disappear and reappear on the other side. All this woohaa for nothing lol

bye bye arrested protesters
    Yeah surely they'll need to pay some years past traffic fines on the mainland...No passports needed.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast