Like Tree410Likes

08/19 - Part 2 - August Protests & News

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    And this one from the ED of the Justice Center.

    https://twitter.com/piyamuqit/status...03081694109696
    Taking the protesters to this facility makes tactical sense as the cops then dont need to prepare for the eventuality that an angry crowd gathers outside the station where the detainees are being held.
    chuckster007 and MatthieuTofu like this.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    522

    No wonder they brought the senior police guy out of retirement.

    Coolboy and MatthieuTofu like this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Not sure if this is the video that was taken down, but this is the incident.

    https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/s...33077573361664
    That is tough to watch, the police taking out their frustration on anyone they catch which is very wrong.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    31,469
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    That is tough to watch, the police taking out their frustration on anyone they catch which is very wrong.
    Both sides are tired and frustrated to the max. Both sides are being provoked to escalate.

    Which side can realistically act like grown ups and call a timeout?

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Not sure if this is the video that was taken down, but this is the incident.

    https://twitter.com/ezracheungtoto/s...33077573361664
    Yes that is the clip. There is a longer version up on youtube now (HKFP) - 4 minutes if you can stomach it.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dyYDyb7N1k
    Coolboy, Mefisto and MatthieuTofu like this.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Both sides are tired and frustrated to the max. Both sides are being provoked to escalate.

    Which side can realistically act like grown ups and call a timeout?
    Thats because the government aka Mrs Sheep and her herd have done nothing to mitigate, control, listen, provide vision of future. Someone called my views fatalistic but I am afraid it is becoming the reality.. China has allowed Hong Kong to paddle along letting HK believe there is such a thing as a future outside of China. Thats all just an optical illusion... I believe now they just decided to move up the timetable as they cannot and will not allow Hong Kong to stay rebellious. And so they will continue to provoke and escalate

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm
    Thats because the government aka Mrs Sheep and her herd have done nothing to mitigate, control, listen, provide vision of future. Someone called my views fatalistic but I am afraid it is becoming the reality.. China has allowed Hong Kong to paddle along letting HK believe there is such a thing as a future outside of China. Thats all just an optical illusion... I believe now they just decided to move up the timetable as they cannot and will not allow Hong Kong to stay rebellious. And so they will continue to provoke and escalate
    The Hong Kong I came to and call home is gone, it probably left some time ago but only now can I see it... ?? breaking.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Both sides are tired and frustrated to the max. Both sides are being provoked to escalate.

    Which side can realistically act like grown ups and call a timeout?
    The logical answer would have been Lam herself. In any same jurisdiction, the leader would step in and at least try to reach some sort of solution. But in this case, she is fanning the flames herself and supporting the police crackdown. This will get increasingly ugly. I suppose one can even argue she has lost any sort of political legitimacy to rule and is simply a puppet dictator from Beijing. Might as well drop any pretense of a SAR government and let Sai Wan directly rule HK in that case

    And nobody has contemplated the consequences of many hundreds (perhaps eventually reaching thousands) of protesters going through the legal process and the burden this places on the criminal justice system. Especially now with questions of entrapment, police brutality and lack of due process (denied access to lawyers), this will pose a challenge to the judges.

    Of course, some are now suggesting the protesters may simply disappear across the border to the mainland. But we are not talking about a few booksellers who were kidnapped to the mainland here. We are talking about many many protestors. HK can kiss it's rule of law goodbye in that case.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-08-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    1,088

    and again it escalates, this is only going to lead to serious issues for markets and international business in HK - no one is buying the propaganda being pushed out with these images of police acting as PLA


  10. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    /home/timonoj
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    All this protesting about the Extradition law, China doesnt need it, they just tell HK to place people near the border in the closed area and miraculously they will disappear and reappear on the other side. All this woohaa for nothing lol

    bye bye arrested protesters
    Yeah surely they'll need to pay some years past traffic fines on the mainland...No passports needed.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast