Like Tree273Likes

Cathay Pacific & Swire - Under Pressure...

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

It suddenly dawned on me... Wait a second, Carrie Lam gets away with being so deaf to the public she leads, comes up with an awful extradition law, let's the police act brutally, let's thugs physically hurt the public, etc. etc.

But *Cathay's* boss gets the axe?!

What the heck, people with no business in this mess should not be the ones to get fired!

I'm quite annoyed that a list of companies are bowing to the CCP. It's time they stood up and show that they won't be bullied.

I wondered if the protesting air traffic controllers could create their own restrictions for Chinese airlines...

Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It suddenly dawned on me... Wait a second, Carrie Lam gets away with being so deaf to the public she leads, comes up with an awful extradition law, let's the police act brutally, let's thugs physically hurt the public, etc. etc.

What the heck, people with no business in this mess should not be the ones to get fired!

I'm quite annoyed that a list of companies are bowing to the CCP. It's time they stood up and show that they won't be bullied.

I wondered if the protesting air traffic controllers could create their own restrictions for Chinese airlines...
    its easy. Carrie is being told what to say by the CCP.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

The air traffic controllers will be out of a job for life... Why don't you put your career on the line first before suggesting others do it.
    RMDNC likes this.

One issue in hk never changed.. other than some of the students and the leaders, everyone else are 'supporting anonymously'.... you have high level civil servants, high level DOJ lawyers, etc.etc. all claim to support and yet nobody dares to show their name... i.e. if you get thru well, fine, if not i continue to collect my pay and can migrate out anytime.

Skyhook and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aceofangel:
    The air traffic controllers will be out of a job for life... Why don't you put your career on the line first before suggesting others do it.
    ATC controllers is not a job for life. They can still be fired or dismissed for other more mundane reasons. Frankly, I question whether jobs for life still exist in today's economy of job insecurity and high staff turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    ATC controllers is not a job for life. They can still be fired or dismissed for other more mundane reasons. Frankly, I question whether jobs for life still exist in today's economy of job insecurity and high staff turnover.
    I think you are misreading her comment. She did not say they have a job for life but will never get a job again.
    Coolboy and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think you are misreading her comment. She did not say they have a job for life but will never get a job again.
    Oh I am sure they can get get another job somewhere somehow, as for pay and benefits, well...that's another story.

The thing is though, if they resign en masse, then the bargaining power will be with the ATC controllers. Like commercial pilots, these controllers are trained and licensed professionals, you can't simply hire some random guy off the street for this job. They need to be trained and pass the required exams as well as go through a certain "intern-on-the-job-training" before they become a fully certified controller. That can take a lot of time and money. The CAD cannot simply conjure replacement controllers out of thin air. So if enough of these ATC controllers decide to take collective action, CAD can't fire them all.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 19-08-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Oh I am sure they can get get another job somewhere somehow, as for pay and benefits, well...that's another story.

The thing is though, if they resign en masse, then the bargaining power will be with the ATC controllers. Like commercial pilots, these controllers are trained and licensed professionals, you can't simply hire some random guy off the street for this job. They need to be trained and pass the required exams as well as go through a certain "intern-on-the-job-training" before they become a fully certified controller. That can take a lot of time and money. The CAD cannot simply conjure replacement controllers out of thin air. So if enough of these ATC controllers decide to take collective action, CAD can't fire them all.
    Not sure if you are old enough to remember this:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prof...ization_(1968)

They can easily find replacements from China and elsewhere. You can see Reagan vs PATCO as an example of what happens when ATCs take collective action and PATCO was much larger than any union the HK ATCs are a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not sure if you are old enough to remember this:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prof...ization_(1968)
    True. But HK is not the US. I don't think there is such a ready supply of replacement controllers available at short notice.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast