Like Tree89Likes

Crossing the border, risky business.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

How does it work? Do they search your bag, pull out a phone and then demand to have access to it? Are you legally required to do this? What if you say no? And what if they do see some photos of protests...? (That any bystander could take...)

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    How does it work? Do they search your bag, pull out a phone and then demand to have access to it? Are you legally required to do this? What if you say no? And what if they do see some photos of protests...? (That any bystander could take...)
    legally required . . . that term has no meaning up north.
    snjt and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Makes me think no layover in China is safe now.
    I've avoided China since they detained the Canadian Michaels.
    jrkob, junichitsuyo and Jackie1 like this.

Well what we do know is that you have no rights when in the customs area for practically any country. The searching of phones is not unique to China.
    civil_servant and spode like this.

I heard they also make you login to GeoExpat and check all your posts

Censorship has always existed in China. Given the proliferation of anti-China propaganda in Hong Kong in recent months, it's only natural for them to check your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    it's only natural for them to check your phone.
    Because.... ?

Because.... ?
    On Geo we disagree and move on with life.

In China if you disagree, you disappear.
    GreenCatalonia, rs4, Gatts and 1 others like this.

The brats over at LIHKG are insinuating or suggesting that activists slipped papers or usb full of pro-democracy messages and images in mooncake for mainlander shoppers Turns out open communication is a piece of cake!

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Censorship has always existed in China. Given the proliferation of anti-China propaganda in Hong Kong in recent months, it's only natural for them to check your phone.
    Anti-China Propaganda? Care to give us any examples. I think I have yet to come across these.
    East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast