Like Tree52Likes

Anyone considering removing kids from school early?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

@Elegiaque - Google classroom + meet for video meetings. Kid did mention that sometimes it is difficult to see the whiteboard while things buffer.

MatthieuTofu and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    Being a really concerned parent/ FATHER I hear you but do let us know when you find your LaLa land
    Reading this, We are so glad that we decided to move to Taipei on first week this year

so to answer the OP: yes we decided to move out of HK and relocate our daughter out of here in mid-year, initially, the protest were the reason, now the reasons keep piling up

TaD_LaLa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    No regrets I moved to Australia last month and working remotely for my HK employer now. Kids start the school year as planned next week. It's a shame the Aussie school in HK is off to a bad start after a horrible year last year, suppose to kick off the year on Wednesday.

The $20k per month my employer saves on HK school fees they gladly allow me to work remotely and put the money towards a travel allowance for me to visit all the offices around the region. I'm suppose to be in Shanghai next week and then in HK in 3 weeks from now but will probably cancel both trips and maybe lie low and keep working remotely for a while.
    I think we got out of the HKG at just the right time,( 2 years ago this March) even though I don't mind a bit of riotous chaos ( protests ) and also remember what it was like during SARS 1.0 in 2002, which actually didn't faze me when I no longer had to wait for a table at popular restaurants lol But, I didn't have children back then and I must admit, I am a LOT more comfortable these days being 6,892km away on our semi rural piece of unspoilt paradise.

Our kids start back at school on, Wednesday, after their 2 month summer break, refreshed and ready to embark on another year at school, swimming squad, Taekwondo, piano, claranet, guitar and art classes. Which as a parent, has been quite enjoyable ( rewarding ) to have been a part of over the last year..... so, looking forward to this one too.
    bdw and emx like this.

Boarding schools with Chinese pupils urged to be alert for xenophobia

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...y_to_clipboard

Quote Originally Posted by goutnet:
    Reading this, We are so glad that we decided to move to Taipei on first week this year

so to answer the OP:[B] yes we decided to move out of HK and relocate our daughter out of here in mid-year, initially, the protest were the reason, now the reasons keep piling up
    [/B[
    And how is your daughter settling into her new school in Taipei?

Still struggling to make the case with the little ones who fear losing friends more than the excitement of a new move.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Boarding schools with Chinese pupils urged to be alert for xenophobia

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...y_to_clipboard
    Priorities totally wrong in that article - but of course one can't get in the way of greedy Brit/Aussie schools and the redminbi!

We started homeschooling our sons last year and I'm so glad we did given what's happened with the protests and now the virus... that said, it's not why we made the decision. Aside from the bliss (mostly) that has been hanging out with my boys more I've even noticed welcome change in me... much less short tempered, much less stressed, no arguing online , much more productive, which was unexpected.

Skyhook and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    And how is your daughter settling into her new school in Taipei?

Still struggling to make the case with the little ones who fear losing friends more than the excitement of a new move.
    Things settled down after some time. Hong Kong has been more a passing place than a settling place over the last years, she has been loosing friend who moved out of Hong Kong every year, so there's that.

Taipei is quite the opposite, people tend to stay longer, and that would help. With that said, the jump is always a bit hard, but it really worth the effort IMO.

Wow!

Just saw the SCMP alert that schools are now closed till Easter at least.

When I first asked what parents were thinking in January, it seemed quite a few parents thought my concerns were unwarranted.

Curious as to what your thoughts are now, and if keeping your kids in HK with the continued lockdown is still the plan.
    If not, how are you managing and what is the ongoing impact?

Above all, my heart goes out to all of us as no matter what choices we make as parenta, the upheaval and disruptions continue for our families.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-beyond-easter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz Paul:
    Being a really concerned parent/ FATHER I hear you but do let us know when you find your LaLa land
    Kowloon72 and MABinPengChau like this.

Good thing

Young people need time to relax and spend their parents money on holidays abroad please don't look at it as something that could affect your childrens prospects. Thats what I would say anyway if I was a mouthpiece for the CCP.