Like Tree74Likes

Keep Your Rent

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Keep Your Rent

This is like the flipside to HK landlords raising rents off the back of govt subsidies to low income tenants. Tenants in North America now refusing to pay rents in solidarity claiming they should be beneficiaries of the mortgage relief landlords are getting (it's actually payment deferrals, not relief, but hey who needs accuracy when trying to incite class warfare)

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/p...virus-job-loss

Agg points to the hypocrisy of landlords expecting to get paid during this time of crisis, while they get a free pass on their mortgages. “I'm dumbfounded that landlords would even hope for April's rent at this point—I don't expect to just get free rent but I do expect the government to step in and affect policy that has mortgage relief trickle down to rent relief for all.”
    So she is in fact expecting free rent. By stopping evictions the government has basically made the landlords eat all the losses of their tenants. What's next, don't have money for food just don't pay for it?

What's next, don't have money for food just don't pay for it?
    Don't have money for medical care... just don't pay for it?

Original Post Deleted
    That's fair. A compromise is great for both parties, because the alternative is having an empty flat in this market. But that's not what the article is talking about. It's about certain tenants imagining they are entitled to some free money on the back of their landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    So she is in fact expecting free rent. By stopping evictions the government has basically made the landlords eat all the losses of their tenants. What's next, don't have money for food just don't pay for it?
    Which is how it should be, the alternative being don't have money for food then starve. Is that your preferred option during the covid19 crisis?
    markranson likes this.

How about this....

In times of crisis - give the money, make the laws so that the benefit the most amount of people with the least amount of roadblocks and sort through the edge cases later.

- Universal moratoriums on payments v/s fax six forms in and receive an approval for suspension of payments in 30-60 days.

Sure, there are some dicks... but I would like to think they're in the minority but because of the dickishness - they've been given their 15 mins of fame. Both landlords and tenants can be dicks. I think these are edge cases as opposed to everyone.

However, I do think that in many cases there is a quiet and deserving group of people who will benefit.

From a US perspective... I'd love to see what happens to these guys who figured they can just stop paying rent. Not sure if there is any law that supports this...

rkenia852 likes this.

On the one hand i am sympathetic to those struggling to get along in this miserable state of the world, on the other hand i am asking why are there more and more people who demand handout and bailout each time a crisis hit ?

The problem is, once you start bailing out someone, then become logical guys who used to be conservative (remember those guys that always say, savings to last for six months of expenses) should start being reckless.. by leveraging heavily for investment or for spending.. why ? because the government will always bail out the struggling.. each and every time..

that's against the principle of capitalism.. where you get reward for the risk and you take the risk up the chin.. those that are conservative get their fair chance when crisis hit...

HK_Katherine and juanalias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    How about this....

In times of crisis - give the money, make the laws so that the benefit the most amount of people with the least amount of roadblocks and sort through the edge cases later.

- Universal moratoriums on payments v/s fax six forms in and receive an approval for suspension of payments in 30-60 days.

Sure, there are some dicks... but I would like to think they're in the minority but because of the dickishness - they've been given their 15 mins of fame. Both landlords and tenants can be dicks. I think these are edge cases as opposed to everyone.

However, I do think that in many cases there is a quiet and deserving group of people who will benefit.
    Here everyone is to get free food regardless of wealth (because you can't tell by someone house if they have lost all their income). Eating some now. You can put a sign outside your house to say you don't want it (or that you need more).

No utility bills this month.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    On the one hand i am sympathetic to those struggling to get along in this miserable state of the world, on the other hand i am asking why are there more and more people who demand handout and bailout each time a crisis hit ?

The problem is, once you start bailing out someone, then become logical guys who used to be conservative (remember those guys that always say, savings to last for six months of expenses) should start being reckless.. by leveraging heavily for investment or for spending.. why ? because the government will always bail out the struggling.. each and every time..

that's against the principle of capitalism.. where you get reward for the risk and you take the risk up the chin.. those that are conservative get their fair chance when crisis hit...
    And the last time the world went into shutdown was.... oh never. I think this is a unique situation not just another crisis. Have you still got an income?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Which is how it should be, the alternative being don't have money for food then starve. Is that your preferred option during the covid19 crisis?
    If you can't afford food, the government should pay for it. Same with rent. Do you want to live in a world where we just stop paying for things because we decide we deserve the money more than forever is supplying those things? Some people put money aside for rainy days so they won't have to live on the street if they miss a pay check, some people spend it all on Netflix and weed. If you read the article you will see that it's about people not wanting to pay rent, not about not being able to.
    If they can't pay rent after one month unemployment how are they planning to pay two months next month, or three months after that? Payment is only deferred after all. Or are they planning on living in the place for free forever?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast