Like Tree124Likes

Hong Kong one of the worlds most expensive places for ? ( List )

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Drivers tend to be rich in HK. Car growth has been massive in recent years. That suggests the tax on petrol, busy roads and parking is not high enough.

Also

https://dynamic.indigoimages.ca/book...ity=85&lang=en
    not necessarily, NT drivers are just normal people, yes, parking is still not cheap at HK$2500 in estates, but in a village as low at HK$500
    East_coast and Tyresmoke like this.

[U]

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    As we already know Hong Kong is one of the most expensive places on earth to buy:

Property ( a home )
    To educate children.
    Buying a car ( new )
    Fueling a car.
    Maintaining a car.
    Owning, storing and maintaining a boat.
    Private and sporting club costs
    The price for dairy products like cheese, fresh milk and cream and sour cream( NOT UHT )
    The price of fresh non China sourced meat, poultry, fruit and veg.
    Mid range clothing including footwear?
    In my experience most consumer electronics and photographic gear was way over priced in HK, so we just stopped buying there and purchased in the USA,Tokyo and even the UK instead for a lot of things.

What other items and general everyday things are eyestingingly expensive compared to one's homeland, in the worlds 'freest' economy, in your opinion ?
    if your chinese, you want to see how much the cost of moon cakes in Australia (which is similar to dairy products in HK), it's around AU $90 compare to HK$200 here.

For all this long list of buying stuff, I find the cost of living here a lot, lot cheaper than the UK. I'm spending more on food and beverage, but:

- don't have kids. I suppose that's the big one
    - no need for a car. You don't have to travel far to get what you want. Taxis and public transport are dirt cheap.
    - rent in London isn't that much cheaper than HK, and is more than offset by the lower taxes here
    - utilities and mobile phone bills are negligible.
    - durables and clothing are available online, and when shipped from the UK they are VAT free.
    - there is a limit to the shit you can buy before your flat is full.
    - I haven' sought to buy, maintain or repair a boat. Mind you I didn't do that when I lived in London.

Property and education are the only truly unavoidably expensive things that blow a massive hole in one's budget. The rest of the OP list are optional rather than essential items that you don't really have to have to live in HK.

If you take away cost related to housing or education, it is possible to live reasonably frugally in HK. Of course, how many of us are in the fortunate position to not consider housing cost though?

imparanoic and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    not necessarily, NT drivers are just normal people, yes, parking is still not cheap at HK$2500 in estates, but in a village as low at HK$500
    Agreed but HK Government's policies towards the value of roads isn stuck in the 1970's. At least they are thinking about a 1980's style cordon pricing scheme for Central. That's progress

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    What makes you think so?
    Yes graduates have had a raw deal in the 20 years from the lowering of thresholds to higher our brethren across the boundary.

But overall wages of car owners have gone up more than weekly petrol usage I would guess.
    Coolboy likes this.

Reading this thread just made me think of some local friends who used to just go across the border at the weekend because everything was so much cheaper - food, drinks, entertainment, shopping. And if you live there, you are pretty spoilt by Taobao and a delivery services etc.

That could be an option for people who want to kind of live in Hong Kong but find it expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    - no need for a car. You don't have to travel far to get what you want. Taxis and public transport are dirt cheap.
    - rent in London isn't that much cheaper than HK, and is more than offset by the lower taxes here
    You don't need a car in London either, but you probably have one because there are plenty of places to go with a car. No places in HK to go for fun with your car. Can't even just pop over to China or Macau.

Hong Kong is one of the most expensive places on earth for
    Having a girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You don't need a car in London either, but you probably have one because there are plenty of places to go with a car. No places in HK to go for fun with your car. Can't even just pop over to China or Macau.
    Hmmmm...depends on how you define "fun". There are a few interesting spots in this city where it may not be so convenient to get to by public transport (or take a long time) where a car might be useful in that case. Places like going up Route Twisk to Tai Mo Shan, Bride's pool at Tai Po, Inspiration Lake at Disneyland or sampling some seafood at Lau Fau Shan. You can either pay $$$ for the taxi or be willing to be willing to sit in the bus a long time to get there. But with a car, its a lot more direct and quicker.

Of course, now you can ask, is it worth getting a car just to go to those places on the rare occasion? Good point, well, that's no right or wrong answer to that, it all depends on your personal preference.
    Mr Chips and angeluscomplex like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast