Like Tree124Likes

Hong Kong one of the worlds most expensive places for ? ( List )

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Hong Kong one of the worlds most expensive places for ? ( List )

As we already know Hong Kong is one of the most expensive places on earth to buy:

Property ( a home )
    To educate children.
    Buying a car ( new )
    Fueling a car.
    Maintaining a car.
    Owning, storing and maintaining a boat.
    Private and sporting club costs
    The price for dairy products like cheese, fresh milk and cream and sour cream( NOT UHT )
    The price of fresh non China sourced meat, poultry, fruit and veg.
    Mid range clothing including footwear?
    In my experience most consumer electronics and photographic gear was way over priced in HK, so we just stopped buying there and purchased in the USA,Tokyo and even the UK instead for a lot of things.

What other items and general everyday things are eyestingingly expensive compared to one's homeland, in the worlds 'freest' economy, in your opinion ?

Last edited by Skyhook; 22-04-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    RMDNC likes this.

buying a beer in a bar!
    Ice from the supermarket

Skyhook, hongkong7 and Happy Guy like this.

On the flip side there is low tax, low cost of public transport, excellence of public transport, cheap utility bills (if you insist on having all your air con units blasting be prepared to pay the price) and relative cheapness of taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeywonkey:
    buying a beer in a bar!
    You go to the wrong bars then

What are some bars where you can buy a non HH beer under $50?

Mid range clothing is cheaper in Hong Kong than in other parts of Asia.

Overall, Hong Kong offers very little now. It was the best place to party and meet people before things swung for the worse back in 2012/13. I cannot believe not many people can feel this!

The food is the worst thing about Hong Kong. I like to eat well and cook most of my things at home. The meats are absolutely horrible. And then there is housing. For someone who likes to eat dinner at home, the kitchens are far too small unless you want to donate your money to charity (i.e. landlords/ developers).

I still remember the shock at reading a family lives in 600sqft 3 BR apartments in Hong Kong. I don't know any other place in the world that has such poor living conditions for the price being paid.

Skyhook, spode, Cwbguy and 3 others like this.

Branded clothing overall
    Pets: vet, food, boarding
    Visiting a private doctor (GP, Physio etc)
    Renovations and handiwork in general
    Eating out in a restaurant, not cha chaan ting
    Internet if you live at a "premium location"

Skyhook, RMDNC and biffski like this.

What is expensive here in terms of property, is the square footage- the actual footprint. The money does not go on building quality which is atrocious. Think about the quality of construction in most developed nations. Insulation, double glazing, electrical and plumbing standards etc. You pay a high price for a shit living space.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeywonkey:
    What are some bars where you can buy a non HH beer under $50?
    Too many to mention. The way I see it is no different to London where the same beer could be double or more the price depending on where you choose to drink.

Several around SoHo, several in TST, at least four in Wan Chai. I’m sure a thread of its own would get a long list

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:

Overall, Hong Kong offers very little now. It was the best place to party and meet people before things swung for the worse back in 2012/13. I cannot believe not many people can feel this!
    Most of the people partying in 2012/13 are no longer partying anymore, lol! The young kids these days have no comparison to what it was like before. its the new normal to them.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast