Like Tree8Likes

Hong Kong has the most expensive gasoline prices in the world!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/gasoline_prices/

Why?

https://www.scmp.com/business/articl...ernational-oil

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ver-oil-prices

What can be done??

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:

What can be done??
    Electric cars. - ah, but then where do you charge them?

I’m loving the fuel prices at the moment, it’s like being in the 1990’s again. My local servo below.

But even when petrol prices were 30 - 40% higher than they are right now, we were still paying about 50% less than what we used to pay in HK.

I think HK over the last 10 years has become rather bloated in its cost of running a business.

bdw likes this.

good, we have too many cars in HK as it is. Which is ridiculous considering how good the public transports are.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    I’m loving the fuel prices at the moment, it’s like being in the 1990’s again. My local servo below.

But even when petrol prices were 30 - 40% higher than they are right now, we were still paying about 50% less than what we used to pay in HK.

I think HK over the last 10 years has become rather bloated in its cost of running a business.
    Yeah but don't you have movement restrictions in Queensland? I'm enjoying the same cheap fuel in Perth but in the last 4 weeks I've only used half a tank. By the time I need to fill up the price will probably be back up again.

Maybe I can go to Bunnings and get a 20 litre jerry can for around $20 and fill that up with cheap fuel, but still the jerry can costs $1 a litre so not a profitable exercice. I guess could be handy to have a jerry anyway so a chance to get one subsidised now I guess

Also bicycles are the new toilet paper in Australia now, with everyone exploring more their local community shopping areas, parks, etc. Families getting out of the house to go for a walk/ride. Even commuters that need to go to office are shunning public transport in favour of cycling to work. Bicycles sold out everywhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Yeah but don't you have movement restrictions in Queensland? I'm enjoying the same cheap fuel in Perth but in the last 4 weeks I've only used half a tank. By the time I need to fill up the price will probably be back up again.

Maybe I can go to Bunnings and get a 20 litre jerry can for around $20 and fill that up with cheap fuel, but still the jerry can costs $1 a litre so not a profitable exercice. I guess could be handy to have a jerry anyway so a chance to get one subsidised now I guess

Also bicycles are the new toilet paper in Australia now, with everyone exploring more their local community shopping areas, parks, etc. Families getting out of the house to go for a walk/ride. Even commuters that need to go to office are shunning public transport in favour of cycling to work. Bicycles sold out everywhere now.
    Yes true like most parts of Australia, we have been house bound and limited to non essential movement, so like you a full tank of petrol for us has been lasted us about a the same 3 weeks, I used about a 1/4 of a tank during the whole time, which I topped up, so the car is full again.

And you're right, during april ( easter ) we usually drive down to Byron Bay ( 250km away) but this year as we were not allowed to travel, haven't really been able to make use of the low fuel prices either, especially as both our European cars ( especially my 7 speed ) sip fuel anyway.

As the 2nd of May, we will be allowed to wander 50km from home for a day trip/picnic as a family, including one extra friend, so that's good. When I was driving more for work related duties, my fuel bill was $30 -$35aud per week when petrol was $1.30-$1.50 per litre ( 98 premium ) one of the great advantages of owning cars that sip 4 - 5 litres of fuel as most of my driving is highway, rarely city, so I get the efficiency and a lot less stop start wear and tear. which means we can venture down to Roma Street Brisbane CBD 40km away from us.

we do one big shop a week, so it isnt really a bother to my family as that's how we have always shopped, we weren't daily grocery shoppers like the less organised, city slicker types.

Also regarding bicycles, facebook market place has 100's of bikes for sale each week, I picked up a couple of HARO ( real BMX's ) from the early 90's which were in well kept rust free always garaged condition, you just cant buy bikes like this today ( which would have been about $350aud each back in the day ) I picked up the pair for $150!. Most Chinese produced bicycles rust like an iron nail in the dead sea. Better off recycling a better made product from the past, plus at the BMX track my kids bikes have a LOT more street cred.
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    good, we have too many cars in HK as it is. Which is ridiculous considering how good the public transports are.
    That's only true if you live on the Island or Kowloon. You pretty much need a car in the New Territories. I would even argue that living in Shek O or Stanley would be much more convenient with a car. It takes 1h 20 minutes from Shek O or Stanley to IFC with public transport but only half an hour by car.

The average winning bid for a fuel station site has risen to HK$531.6 million (US$68.6 million) in the 12 months to March 2020
    $500 million for a 21 year lease, that is so typical for shit our government would think is fine.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 30-04-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    imparanoic likes this.

Car is a luxury in hk unless you live in a village far from town, which ironically is the cheapest way of car ownership

Coolboy and emx like this.

Original Post Deleted
    In the last 20 years there has been the adoption of 1980's thermally printed parking tickets. With this pace of executive led decision making Electronic Road Pricing should be implemented - NEVER

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Petrol is very cheap as a % of disposable income for the average car owner.
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast