Like Tree11Likes

"Relaunch HK" - PR Firms bidding...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Relaunch HK" - PR Firms bidding...

I can count three PR firms that are willing to bid for this new contract (there were no bids last year during the protests).

Edleman, MSL and Redhill.

According to documents seen by PRovoke, the virtual briefing session run by the government's Information Services Department (ISD) drew attendance from PR firms based inside and outside Hong Kong. These included APCO Worldwide, CT Group, Edelman, Omnicom PR Group (OPRG), Publicis firms Qorvis/MSL, Ruder Finn and WPP's BCW and Ogilvy.

Of that group, Edelman confirmed that it will take part in the tender. "This brief is to support the Hong Kong economy overseas and that is an issue that impacts all of us, that’s why we are happy to be participating in this important pitch," said a spokesperson for the world's largest PR firm.
    PRovoke also understands that MSL has bid for the one-year assignment in conjunction with sister firm Qorvis, the Washington DC public affairs firm that is perhaps best known for its relationship with the Saudi Arabian government. An MSL representative declined to comment.
    In addition, Singapore-headquartered PR consultancy Redhill, one of the world's fastest-growing firms, confirmed that it would take part in the tender.

While many of the remaining firms either declined to comment or did not respond to request for comment, PRovoke understands that APCO, BCW, Ogilvy, OPRG (including FleishmanHillard and Ketchum) and Ruder Finn all passed on the opportunity.
    https://www.provokemedia.com/latest/...ong-government
    MandM! likes this.

Relationship with Saudi Arabia...why does it not surprise me one bit that a firm know for its association with odious regimes like the Saudi regime is bidding for this? The HK government sure has "great" company, now in the same category of clients as Saudi Arabia.

markranson likes this.

OPRG (including FleishmanHillard and Ketchum)
    As far as I know, FleishmanHillard has the PR contract for BrandHK.

I want to know which genius it was that came up with the "Asia's World City" tag. That is the most unimaginative and bland tag there ever was, to put it mildly. Heck, even a grade school kid can call HK that without much thinking.

rkenia852 likes this.

I think Covid has a lot to do with more companies submitting tenders now than last year. Can't be that choosy when you have not much clients left.

shri and markranson like this.

What are the key parts of the campaign?

I'd like to suggest:

1. Lovely polluted harbor
    2. Fantastic underground train system connects the Island to the mainland
    3. Indulge in real Chinese culture and engage with real Chinese people
    4. Pay a lot of the tiniest and best maintained properties in the world
    5. Fantastic quality food that will not cause health problems
    6. Young and vibrant people
    7. Lively night life with attractive people

Should be interesting to see the new campaign come out in 2025.

MSL out ...

However, since PRovoke's story last Friday, PR firms taking part in the tender — which include Edelman and Redhill, among the seven bidders — have faced plenty of opposition, particularly on social media, where Hong Kong's protest movement has developed an influential presence.

While Washington DC firm Qorvis, given its long relationship with the Saudi Arabian government, may be no stranger to this kind of controversy, it is understood that local MSL staff have had second thoughts about the decision to participate. As a result, said MSL Asia CEO Margaret Key, "both agencies will be withdrawing" from the process.

"MSL Asia and Qorvis operate and report as separate agencies within Publicis Groupe," said Key. "In early May, Qorvis was formally invited to participate in this agency review because of experience with similar campaigns and MSL was later asked to support Qorvis given tender requirements that specified a Hong Kong presence."

"Upon further review of MSL’s supporting role with regards to this tender, MSL has declined and withdrawn further participation," confirmed Key. A Qorvis representative did not respond to request for comment as this story went live.
    https://www.provokemedia.com/latest/...ng'-tender

https://twitter.com/Provoke_News/sta...49866570117122

So it seems like Qorvis will win the tender by default. Not sure if that is such a great result though...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I want to know which genius it was that came up with the "Asia's World City" tag. That is the most unimaginative and bland tag there ever was, to put it mildly. Heck, even a grade school kid can call HK that without much thinking.
    Pleasing the client was probably one of the reasons.

I really don't see HK being a city which is very innovative and pushes boundaries do you? Along those lines, the "asia's world city" is kinda perfect. Its safe, kinda true, portrays what HK is about (or aspires to be), and doesn't offend anyone. lol
    shri, Coolboy and tf19 like this.

Last edited by shri; 12-06-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added link to source

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast