Like Tree96Likes

'Sackings' for asking open exam questions

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The exam at DSE level not Kindy. DSE is meant to be tough. Think UK 'A' level or IB HL.

"do you agree or disagree?" Not a 7 point IB or A* A level question.
    While I’m certainly not one of those who thought this was a leading question in any way, seeing this view reflected in real people and not just the junta, leads me to believe that the question design could at least be improved at little cost to incorporate the concerns felt by a segment of the population.

If adding two words “or disagree” would have made people happier, I’m all for it. Sadly I think we should recognise that this was merely a pretext to tighten ideological control over education, and at the cost of people who took the exam to boot. What people might not realise is discussing the issue seriously (like police having no room for ID on their uniforms) regardless of the merits only lends cover to what they are actually doing...

I'm no expert in the setting of exam questions (and exactly how a "good" question should be phrased) but the uproar over this one really highlights how little understanding the CCP supporters have of debate and analysis. It's extremely enlightening. And terrifying. The biggest problems with this world today (not just in China) in my view are the rise of populism and the decline of analytical thinking and questioning of the status quo.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...an-has-sparked

Unless otherwise indicated, you can assume the educators approached for quotes are pro-establishment.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    The buckling begins. Dissent gets muted through self-censorship, and the further radicalisation linked with going underground that so far has been avoided may have very unpleasant consequences in time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    I have to eat humble pie on this one, when I said the answer was obvious, I clearly overestimated the capacity for critical thinking in the population. I note a similar problem may have occured in a question on a different topic, but may have attracted a lot less heat. Anyway, to those who objected to the design of the question on the principle that critical thinking shouldn’t be part of a history exam (I’ve since seen other such questions included btw), I can now concede the point about design, even though I won’t about whether critical thinking should be included at all.

Also interesting to me, that the numbers getting the question “right” vs. “wrong” roughly mirror the vote in the last DC elections...
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    I have to eat humble pie on this one, when I said the answer was obvious, I clearly overestimated the capacity for critical thinking in the population. I note a similar problem may have occured in a question on a different topic, but may have attracted a lot less heat. Anyway, to those who objected to the design of the question on the principle that critical thinking shouldn’t be part of a history exam (I’ve since seen other such questions included btw), I can now concede the point about design, even though I won’t about whether critical thinking should be included at all.

Also interesting to me, that the numbers getting the question “right” vs. “wrong” roughly mirror the vote in the last DC elections...
    How many didn't answer the question and how many said neither good or bad and how many said Japan and failed to justify it? How many said Japan and had a good argument?

Original Post Deleted
    I think John cleese and Graham garden answered that question already in ' life of Brian '
    TheBrit and hullexile like this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast