Like Tree43Likes

Apple Daily... in English!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Hmmm...I am sympathetic to their political stance, but as for the actual stories in Apple Daily, I have to admit sometimes its like a tabloid more than a traditional newspaper. Now Apple Daily is far from the only paper in town that adopts a tabloid approach, still, I have to admit I have reservations for some of their over-the-top sensationalist stories. But I am interested to know what their English langauge approach will be like. Will it be just like their Chinese version? Or something different?

Rob2020 and aquaman like this.

I will read them for their actual scoops (eg. Rupert’s house) and not their ummmm how shall we say this... celebrity ‘scoops’

Coolboy likes this.

Apple Daily is like reading the Sun, Mirror or Daily Mail in the UK.

imparanoic, shri and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hkemail888:
    Everyone says it’s toilet paper, esp the magazine / gossip part, take some random picture of celebrities and their kids and create random stories/lies, harass them, follow them everywhere, invade their privacies with super long distance cameras etc
    definitely the case before the unrest, kinda like the Sun and Daily Mail in UK, probably it's target market preferred this type of news as they had a tendency of intruding local celebrity lives, not sure nowadays as i have read their newspapers for years, nowadays, free newspapers such as Headline (頭條新聞/tou tiu san man) and RTHK instead
    Last edited by imparanoic; 01-06-2020 at 01:14 PM.

it's noted that apple daily always use rather simple traditional chinese vocabulary which is rather easy to read probably targeted to their target market, also there were a lot of rather seedy gossipy news about the local celebrities which why it's labelled as HK tabloids, i have previously read apple newspaper (this was years before the unrest), i don't buy any newspapers anyway, but it was commonly read by my relatives and that i used to borrow their newspaper during dim sum sessions, as an overseas chinese learning and understanding chinese in it's written form is easy at all and I found it rather easy compare to the others which uses more complex chinese vocabulary.

I downloaded the Apple Daily App and read through it and now reminds me now Epoch Times.

On side note, if we get to travel to China , do we need to delete the App?

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    Has HK ever had a proper paper of record instead of tabloids? No matter what your political view point is, Apple Daily is sensationalized dreck.
    I think no place in the world right now has a proper paper on record.

apple daily in english is like china daily

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    apple daily in english is like china daily
    Don't be ridiculous.
    MatthieuTofu likes this.

Is it only via app? No contents on the web?