Like Tree31Likes

David Webb / Webb-Site News....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

David Webb / Webb-Site News....

Webb-site.com will now begin a more sporadic, semi-dormant phase. It's been a blast, but like all good things and life itself, it has to end sooner or later. I firmly believe you only get one shot at life - indeed, the self-aware "you" emerges from your brain's neural network and is just a product of biology, chemistry and physics - you are your life. There is no afterlife or reincarnation. Having been born with a good brain and the fortuitous circumstances of being adopted as a baby into a loving family in a first-world country, I have seized every opportunity and lived life to its fullest so that I will have no regrets at the end of it, however long or short it may be.

On 12-May-2020, I went to see an orthopaedic surgeon about what I thought was a trapped nerve or a slipped disc, causing some arm pain which had started in my left hand and appeared until then to be nothing more than a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome from decades of computer keyboard use. He sent me for an MRI of my spine. The arm pain went away, but 4 days later, I learned that I had tumours along the length of my spine. Numerous further scans and a biopsy have determined that I have metastatic prostate cancer all over my skeleton, but thankfully a brain MRI shows nothing (except a brain).

I've been up a rapid learning curve on this illness over the last few weeks. While nobody would want this, there's never been a better time to get prostate cancer, with breakthroughs in life-extending combination therapies and new drugs having been discovered in the last 10 years or so, with more in ongoing trials. Like every battle I've fought for corporate and economic governance in HK, I will fight this will full vigour, and hope to beat it for several years as new treatments emerge, staying at least one step ahead. I still have a lot to live for, including a beloved, supportive wife and our two wonderful children whom I hope to see graduate and start their adult lives.

Prostate cancer normally strikes much later in life and many older men die with it rather than from it. It doesn't shorten their lives. But at the age of 54, my life expectancy has suddenly been rather drastically reduced, so you will understand that I now need to reprioritise and give less time to the public good. There will probably be no more time-consuming, in-depth investigations of crooked corporate networks like Enigma, and fewer articles overall. I will have to be more economical with my time, but I will continue to write and speak out on the big issues where I feel it can make a difference, so don't count me out yet!
    https://webb-site.com/articles/editor200608.asp

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Webb had always provided sharp and intelligent analysis on the local finance and corporate scene and revealed the malfeasance that can go on there. I also appreciate his analysis on the financial and economic impact from political turmoil that has befall the city. Hope he has a complete recovery.

Terrible news indeed, what a role model and one of the true heroes of Hong Kong!

I saw him just the other day in Landmark, he was busy in conversation with a lady. I was close to chase him up and just thank him if for all good that he has done and that he is a role model for my own investing. Now I regret I didn't do it!

East_coast likes this.

I, too, am a fan and will miss his regular postings. He has been a force for good. Hoping that treatments work and that he has many more years on the earth.

Paxbritannia likes this.

Life is one harsh bi*ch sometimes.

Really sorry to hear this news for him.

i have a friend diagnosed with the same several years ago. He's still around; still working and still hopeful. He knows that one of these days the various drugs keeping him alive will become ineffective.. but until then he's determined to live every minute. So I wish the best to Webb - a good bloke - and hope he does as well.

That's some rough news to hear. Wish him strength in fighting his way through it.

Reminds me to get on with my plans as you never know what's coming.

Good luck David and thanks for the advice.

This is very sad news indeed. He’s been a tireless campaigner for better governance and minority investors. Can only hope for the best and wish him and his family well.

David Webb is not well - hope he recovers.

https://twitter.com/webbhk/status/1269876471708803072

On an unweighted basis his portfolio is down more than 40% since I started following it - but as he says, cheaper than ever on fundamental terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    David Webb is not well - hope he recovers.

https://twitter.com/webbhk/status/1269876471708803072

On an unweighted basis his portfolio is down more than 40% since I started following it - but as he says, cheaper than ever on fundamental terms.
    Not really appropriate to 'like' your post, but the like means I also hope he recovers. Dave Webb is a force for good in Hong Kong - more people like him are needed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast