Like Tree36Likes

Pakistan Fake Pilots

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Miaofromcali:
    No way, I don’t believe 1 in 3 pilot has a fake license. The article says they ask other people to take the test and have no flying experience. I call bullshit. Instrument flying is not something you can bs your way through. And how can you get a pilot license if your don’t have flying hours? The only possible way is that these fake pilots just babysit the control and never actually get to land or take off.
    Dunno. You might might express your disbelief with Pakistan's Aviation Ministry who issued the report.

Dunno. You might might express your disbelief with Pakistan's Aviation Ministry who issued the report.

Hmmmm! It's one of the "Insh'Allah" airlines as far as I'm concerned. From those reports I'd say that too many are just plain Fakirs!

I find it sad that PIA has been reduced to such a wretched state. It once commanded respect for its service quality and was at one time regarded as one of the better airlines in Asia. But years of corruption and mismanagement has taken its toll on the airline. And now we got slip-shod safety standards to worry about too. Hardly a winning combination of factors. As a flag carrier, I doubt the Pakistani government will allow the airline to go under, but right now, merely keeping it on life support is hardly a confidence-building measure to foster faith in the airline.

In that sense, despite Pakistan and India being bitter rivals, they share a similiar fate in having once glorious flag carriers falling onto difficulties due to self-inflicted mistakes. Air India, founded by what is now the Tata Group, also once had a shining reputation, offering a level of inflight service that Qatar Airways, Emirates and Singapore Airlines now command. But it too has fallen on hard times. Again, political interference and gross mismanagement has destroyed Air India's balanced sheets, not helped by the persecution and driving out of able managers in the airline.

Curious how the archrivals' flag carriers both share a similar trajectory...

Last edited by Coolboy; 26-06-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Pakistani pilots were busy talking about coronavirus the whole flight and so were distracted. Whatever.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/probe-find...080022866.html
    So, it's not those pilots' fault. Such a grave issue as this -coronavirus - certainly requires the attention of great minds that can command both aerodynamics as well as virology - high up in the skies.
    MABinPengChau likes this.

PIA banned from operating in the EU for 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62sSwC4t_g

Coolboy likes this.

My life has changed forever!!

Thank you for sharing this CoolBoy.

How on earth was it possible for the Captain to remain so calm?

I listened to the entire recording and the most bizarre part is when she says medical attention will be needed for a passenger who exited the cabin from a hole!!!!

What sort of magical management pilot training keeps you so calm with a damaged plane, injured passenger and goodness knows what other chaos was happening?

And where can civilians get some sort of training that would be remotely similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Had the PIA pilots been properly licensed, they would have received training in CRM or Crew Resource Management, teaching pilots how to communicate, stay cool and make decisions in a situation where an error can have catastrophic consequences. It would have taught the pilots how to not fall into tunnel vision and not be overwhelmed by multiple indications.

Contrast the now deceased PIA pilots in that crash with the Southwest pilots who landed a crippled 737, Captain Tammie Jo Shults landed a single engine plane, depressurized, with a window smashed and a passenger sucked half-way out. Yet as you will hear, she kept cool and focused on flying the plane and landing it safely. Listening to her communication with ATC, it sounded just like any other day, not a life-or-death emergency. She took control, stating where she wants to land, what kind of emergency was facing the plane and the kind of assistance needed on the ground. Now despite that calm tone, you can bet Captain Shults was under severe stress in that situation. But she is trained to not lose it, yell or scream in that kind of situation, because people's lives depend on her decisions. Instead focus on flying, navigating and communicating, in that order. That is a key example of CRM training:

Quote Originally Posted by TaD_LaLa:
    My life has changed forever!!

Thank you for sharing this CoolBoy.

How on earth was it possible for the Captain to remain so calm?

I listened to the entire recording and the most bizarre part is when she says medical attention will be needed for a passenger who exited the cabin from a hole!!!!

What sort of magical management pilot training keeps you so calm with a damaged plane, injured passenger and goodness knows what other chaos was happening?

And where can civilians get some sort of training that would be remotely similar?
    There is nothing magical, just effective training. Its training, training and more training. In the simulators, pilots are taught to properly respond to all sorts of emergencies, with a single engine failure being the most common. Commerical pilots are screened for certain mental and personality attributes, such as ability to work in a team, ability to work under stress and ability to control emotions and so on, that is true. But the more important thing is being taught how to respond when things don't go according to plan when they are up in the air. While they cannot train for every potential contingency in the air, they can be trained in knowing how to properly respond to any emergency.

And such training is not a one-off occurrence while they are still studying to obtain their licenses, but are done throughout the pilot's active career. Pilots must undergo regular testing and training every X number of months.

And look at it from the passenger's perspective. Do you want a pilot who can control an emergency situation or one who is losing it and screaming and yelling at everyone in the cockpit? This is why pilots being derisively called "overpaid and glorified bus drivers" are wide of the mark. When something goes wrong on a bus, the driver can simply pull off onto the side of the road and switch on the hazard lights. But up in the air, there is nowhere to "pull off" into.

Of course, having a pilot being totally cool and calm is not necessarily great either, for that suggests the pilots are unaware of the seriousness of the situation. What airlines want instead are pilots who are fully cognizant of the situation yet is still able to to maintain a level-headedness to land the plane safely on the ground.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 01-07-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3