Like Tree36Likes

SCMP to start charging?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    April 2016 was when they brought down the paywall. July 2020 it goes back up again?
    August 2020 apparently in certain markets. Probably HK first?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    August 2020 apparently in certain markets. Probably HK first?
    I cannot remember when I had this conversation - SCMP's most lucrative market is overseas, not HK. English speakers overseas who want access to HK news.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I cannot remember when I had this conversation - SCMP's most lucrative market is overseas, not HK. English speakers overseas who want access to HK news.
    Correct, the US is number one.

They might be charging to scoop up reader information. Savvy readers would realize that creates self censorship as far as comments and rebuttals to thier articles.

Regardless their content is not worth paying for nor spending time on IMO. It's digital so you can't use it for your dog to shit on so no utlity in other ways like the free papers handed out such as the HK Standard IMO.

HKFP readership is going to spike!

MatthieuTofu and zerg8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    HKFP readership is going to spike!
    Would be great for them especially how they covered the 2019 protests with a relatively skeleton team. If they're looking to expand they can consider hiring journalism majors as interns in university

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I read the SCMP, then I come here for the Op Eds...
    East_coast likes this.

I will pay for a subscription to the SCMP. Did before and will do again.

Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by walkup:
    I will pay for a subscription to the SCMP. Did before and will do again.
    I stopped paying when they removed Tokyo from Olympic City hosting history special.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    They might be charging to scoop up reader information. Savvy readers would realize that creates self censorship as far as comments and rebuttals to thier articles.

Regardless their content is not worth paying for nor spending time on IMO. It's digital so you can't use it for your dog to shit on so no utlity in other ways like the free papers handed out such as the HK Standard IMO.
    I also read the HK Standard when available. Its OK for a quick read but not in the same class as the SCMP.