Like Tree7Likes

Marines in the HK US Consulate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marines in the HK US Consulate

Most US Embassies have a Marine detachment in them but I'm curious if Consulate-Generals have them, the Hong Kong one in this case. I was reading an article online and I saw some Marines in the now-closed Chengdu consulate so that made me wonder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Security_Guard

Yes, they do have them here in HK.

MABinPengChau and rs4 like this.

All embassies and consul generals for the US have marines. A good friend of mine used to patrol the ground of the US consulate in Istanbul and with a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Never understood why as the Brit consulates next door didn't even have an air rifle.

rs4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    All embassies and consul generals for the US have marines. A good friend of mine used to patrol the ground of the US consulate in Istanbul and with a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Never understood why as the Brit consulates next door didn't even have an air rifle.
    For what purpose I wonder. To shoot down sucidial plane or helicopters? Must be a post-9/11 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I doubt that they would have rocket launchers in the Hong Kong consulate... also found an article about an unfortunate incident that happened which involved a Marine who was stationed here I guess. Does anyone else have online literature that they've read before? It's a pretty intriguing topic

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...levels-balcony

I don't know about Marines, but I knew an American expat here who ended up marrying a guy who worked 'security' at the consulate. When his tour here finished, she left with him, and went on his next assignment to Israel - when there was all the to-do about moving the embassy there to Jerusalem, you could see him in the background of some of the photos of Trump...

Coolboy and dengxi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    For what purpose I wonder. To shoot down sucidial plane or helicopters? Must be a post-9/11 thing.
    Yes it was just a couple of years after 9/12 and they had just moved from a large building in a popular district to a fortress on top of a hill on the outskirts of the city.
    Coolboy likes this.

Kiz

I went to the marine ball in HK one year, probably 10 years ago, there weren't many marines in HK from what I could tell from the numbers present. I was sitting next to a Republican Senator from memory, he came across as an arrogant moron. I can't remember his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Probably because of this... pretty interesting and old article about the Secret Service in the UK back in 03

Normally, the details of a state visit are agreed by royal aides and diplomats from both countries who will raise any matters of security. But Mr Bush's trip has, according to a British official, "been hijacked by the US secret service".
    They have made substantial demands, some of them accepted, but the more outrageous courteously deflected by the Palace.
    "They wanted to make structural changes to the Queen's home and this was never going to happen," said the aide.
    "Agents brought in structural engineers who said walls must be strengthened and the blast-proof glass replaced with something stronger. They were obsessed, and still are by the threat of an attack from the air.
    "There was even a plan for a Black Hawk helicopter to hover over the Palace grounds but this was firmly rejected as was the air exclusion zone over London."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ir-sights.html

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I don't know about Marines, but I knew an American expat here who ended up marrying a guy who worked 'security' at the consulate. When his tour here finished, she left with him, and went on his next assignment to Israel - when there was all the to-do about moving the embassy there to Jerusalem, you could see him in the background of some of the photos of Trump...
    Probably a contractor? If he's not in the armed forces. That's interesting though. There are always a few local security guards standing outside the consulate but it seems unlikely to be that. Maybe some of the Blackwater-like people but stationed here protecting assets inside of Iraq or Afghanistan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast