Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By tf19
  • 3 Post By binance345
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Has your company started treating HK as just another Chinese city?

Closed Thread

No separate marketing, HK etc.

We've been shifting our dev teams from India to China over the past several years. Accordingly, it's increasingly important for our architects, automation testers, even CX designers to be able to interact with the engineers in mandarin (although its bloody hard to find / hire qualified talent these days).

Those at the top of the food chain and the biz dev teams are still gweilos however.

Edit: to add, most of the leadership gweilos not withstanding, believe that tight integration with GBA, Wealth Connect, digital yuan, etc are key to future business sustainability. I don't know if that fits the criteria of the OP's question but to ignore these macro trends and think that HK is some special outlier is nuts.

shri, AsianXpat0 and Corrib like this.

For my business, HK has always been a Chinese city, and by staying in HK I can conveniently handle the factories and sales in China, while enjoying the advantage of low tax rates.

HK has always been a city that exists for China, even when the British seized HK more than a hundred years ago because they needed an entrepôt to handle trade with China.

The rapid growth of Hong Kong's financial industry after 2000s was due to the huge market in China, and HK became a major center for providing financial services to China. If it were not for China, most MNCs would not have stayed in HK, would they not have been better off in Singapore?

HK has been whitewashing its facade to make people feel international and think they don't live in China, but at heart, HK is a Chinese city, only after 2019, the rulers was starting to present it more nakedly and stop pretending.

Will HK become "another" Chinese city? The way I see it, while HK is tightening its freedom, mainland China is actually tightening it in mainland even more, so HK is still a relatively special place. Of course, it's hard to say how things will develop in the future.

ramelec, Corrib and TripleElWing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    We've been shifting our dev teams from India to China over the past several years. Accordingly, it's increasingly important for our architects, automation testers, even CX designers to be able to interact with the engineers in mandarin (although its bloody hard to find / hire qualified talent these days).

Those at the top of the food chain and the biz dev teams are still gweilos however.

Edit: to add, most of the leadership gweilos not withstanding, believe that tight integration with GBA, Wealth Connect, digital yuan, etc are key to future business sustainability. I don't know if that fits the criteria of the OP's question but to ignore these macro trends and think that HK is some special outlier is nuts.
    What industry are you in? Software development?

Over the long run HK will become more "China-fied". Whether this is good or not depends on one's perspective.

Yeah, but will they start spitting on the sidewalks/everywhere like they do on the mainland plus allowing their little children to pee and poop inside stores (like I saw in Shenzhen). If so then yes. HK will become another Chinese city!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    Yeah, but will they start spitting on the sidewalks/everywhere like they do on the mainland plus allowing their little children to pee and poop inside stores (like I saw in Shenzhen). If so then yes. HK will become another Chinese city!
    Ahhh yes, another wonderful example of the well balanced "pro-China, anti-CCP" nuance I have come to expect of the foreign population hanging around on GeoExpat

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Ahhh yes, another wonderful example of the well balanced "pro-China, anti-CCP" nuance I have come to expect of the foreign population hanging around on GeoExpat
    I know, I know… the truth hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by binance345:
    HK has been whitewashing its facade to make people feel international and think they don't live in China, but at heart, HK is a Chinese city, only after 2019, the rulers was starting to present it more nakedly and stop pretending.
    Perhaps you have used the term highlighted wrong

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whitewash

Or not

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...rm=whitewashed

I would suggest HK had adopted a normalization adopting a free press, separation of powers, executive led, rule of law etc. This is not a 'white' thing but a developed pluralistic society thing.
    binance345 likes this.

HK in effect was never 'executive led'.. The executive in HK did what what allowed and required of them.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    HK in effect was never 'executive led'.. The executive in HK did what what allowed and required of them.
    Hong Kong has always had an executive led government post war. Any potential policy would need to approvable by the legislative circle. It certainly wasn't a done deal that anything sent for approving would be approved. Granted most things were but there was a real threat power to reject, defer and delay 'bad laws' even in colonial times.

That has now changed as LegCo puts efficiency first.