Like Tree47Likes

On being called a "gwailo" ...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

On being called a "gwailo" ...

Been debated ad nauseum for as long as I can recall...

Haden is seeking HK$200,000 compensation for damage to his feelings plus loss of income since he was fired in February 2017 by Leighton Asia, which is commissioned for many of the city's infrastructure projects, including railways.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ion/11/235864/
    Paxbritannia likes this.

I could see a case if he could prove someone is preventing him from learning Cantonese.

rs4 and hongkong7 like this.

I'm sure the media and public loves to spin this into something about the G. word. But it's pretty obvious that it has little to do with why he's in court.

It strengthen's his case because it highlights treatment by race but it's simply an unfair dismissal case.

shri, rs4, aw451 and 1 others like this.

Headline should have been "Blasting Expert's Fuse is Lit"

The case is listed as an Equal Opportunities case.

It is a lot cheaper to go through labour tribunal and their mediation services if the claim is really about unfair dismissal, which I agree is most likely the real issue.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 10.11.40 AM.png
Views: 865
Size:  25.9 KB

I was always happy to be excluded from meetings because I dont speak Cantonese. Got these bloody auditors wanting to do an audit on our IT systems. "Yeah sure no worries, I'll let you meet with one of our Cantonese speaking staff to make it easier for you guys to communicate and I'll stay out of it. Come and get me if you need anything" was my standard reply to most meeting requests.

Asian racists (let's call them 'raisins') are a real thing, it's just not a popular topic for some reason.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gi0inxNrBE

jayinhongkong likes this.

Come and get me if you need anything" was my standard reply to most meeting requests.
    I suspect its a bit more difficult to say "come and get me if anything blows up" ... literally.
    qhank, Jaz Paul, bdw and 3 others like this.

I saw this on the news last night and it made me chuckle. This type of thing is very common in the West, now it is trickling over to Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by SingSangSong:
    Asian racists (let's call them 'raisins') are a real thing, it's just not a popular topic for some reason.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gi0inxNrBE
    It is popular on here (even if people think "Asian" is limited to a small corner of Asia)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast