Like Tree56Likes

Incoming Great Firewall for HK

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Reading the article - this is more about people publishing or republishing / sharing "fake news" from HK about HK...

    Been proposed and discussed a fair bit over the last year or so.
    They will never come out and say "Good news, from tomorrow onwards we'll install the great firewall like our northern compatriots, rejoice". The very real fear is that these might be the first step towards a GFW instead, with all kinds of websites being gradually forbidden over the coming months/years.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    39,678

    The first steps were taken about a year or so ago when they got the local ISPs to block some doxxing websites. The infrastructure for that is there and in place atleast at DNS some sort of hard blocking level.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    猴山
    Posts
    21,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    They will never come out and say "Good news, from tomorrow onwards we'll install the great firewall like our northern compatriots, rejoice". The very real fear is that these might be the first step towards a GFW instead, with all kinds of websites being gradually forbidden over the coming months/years.
    Yes. Easy ones to start ones whose purpose breaks the NSL.
    Coolboy likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    6,415
    Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes. Easy ones to start ones whose purpose breaks the NSL.
    They will start with fairly restricted number and category of ban sites, as discussed above. Then over time it will expand to cover more and more sites. Before you know it, we can envision the following scenario where CNN will be banned. New York Times will be banned. BBC news will be banned. Le Monde will be banned. And so on. Because conceivably anything under the sun can be against the NSL if the authorities say so. There is no limit to how the authorities can stretch and interpret the NSL.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    They will start with fairly restricted number and category of ban sites, as discussed above. Then over time it will expand to cover more and more sites. Before you know it, we can envision the following scenario where CNN will be banned. New York Times will be banned. BBC news will be banned. Le Monde will be banned. And so on. Because conceivably anything under the sun can be against the NSL if the authorities say so. There is no limit to how the authorities can stretch and interpret the NSL.
    textbook salami slicing tactics
    blandy62 and Coolboy like this.

  6. #16

    They just have to make terms and conditions so unbearable for Google, Facebook, Youtube, etc that they will automatically withdraw from HK. Think TikTok.

    Baklava likes this.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Reading the article - this is more about people publishing or republishing / sharing "fake news" from HK about HK...

    Been proposed and discussed a fair bit over the last year or so.
    Yes, and the NSL only affects a small number of people.
    Gatts and MatthieuTofu like this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,908

    They already blocked one episode of the Simpsons on Disney+ last week. The one where Lucy Liu voices a character. I thought the topic in this episode was still OK to discuss in HK?

    Name:  Simpsons1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  79.9 KB

    Name:  Simpsons2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  77.8 KB

    Name:  Simpsons3.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  83.5 KB


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,473
    Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    They already blocked one episode of the Simpsons on Disney+ last week. The one where Lucy Liu voices a character. I thought the topic in this episode was still OK to discuss in HK?

    Name:  Simpsons1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  79.9 KB

    Name:  Simpsons2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  77.8 KB

    Name:  Simpsons3.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  83.5 KB
    We dont know if HK blocked or Disney self-censored?

    Either way, of course Tienanman Square is a taboo topic in Hong Kong. It has been ever since NSL.
    Sith and qhank like this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,908
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    We dont know if HK blocked or Disney self-censored?
    True, my money is on Disney kissing arse. China is now the world’s largest cinema box office, overtaking America last year, and allows only a limited number of foreign films to be released in China each year. Disney’s Avengers Endgame sold $US629 million in China in 2019.

Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast