What does Hong Kong remind you of???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

What does Hong Kong remind you of???

Hong Kong reminds me of New York without the elegance, intelligence, sophistication, class, diversity of people and food, culture, modernization, elegance, and empathy...

I saw this crippled / disabled guy in Central today who had some obvious birth deformities. I gave him a few bucks and the girl (local) I was with chided me for giving money away. That pissed me off, its my money and if I wanna toss a few bucks to those in need, its none of her business.

Mind you this is a girl who works in Finance, makes a really decent salary, and does not hesistate to drop a few G's on a night of drinking, or buys a Prada bag only to not use it and collect dust.

What's up with the people on this fly speck island?

Why don't you go to NYC then?

Elegance -> The Chinese have always been praised for their elegance (just look at the level of sophistication in the art sector...ever seen a Cantonese Opera?)

Intelligence -> Latest Nobel Prize in physics is from HK

Sophistication -> Re Elegance

Food -> Debatable...I much prefer a Dim Sum over a Pizza but that is affair of personal taste

Culture -> Plenty of culture BUT your ignorance of the local lingo prevent you to fully appreicate it.

Modernization -> Ehrrrr IFC, ICC, MTR, Octopus, HK Airport....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Hong Kong reminds me of the tv programme Survivor, except you can't vote the unworthy off the island.

Who does Dotgoner remind you of???

1. Safran
    2. Rastaman
    3. Another of those Troll but can't recall their names...just too many

perhaps the reason she was chiding you is that many beggars are sent over the border by triads? they get very little of what they "earn" most goes to pay the thugs...personally, i wouldn't want to give them any more than they already have.

as for deformities... my step-father had a prosthetic leg... the beggars without legs were "floored" (excuse the pun) when they would beg for $ and he'd lift up his pant leg.

i would rather give money to the guy in the wheelchair that sits in the underpass going to the old star ferry. he makes these amazing insects out of grass... or the guy playing (albeit not very well) the flute that used to hang out at the causeway bay mtr station... or the little blind ladies that played their chinese instruments in TST...

ps> if you really hate HK so much, check out this website.. please feel free to book yourself back on a flight to your wonderful home! (there are NO problems in the good ol' US of A! it's the perfect place! God Bless America! sheesh!)
    International Flights, Asia Airline Travel - Cathay Pacific

Maybe because in Hong Kong begging is still technically a criminal offence (I think because of its historical origins in English law) and socially stigmatized. A lot of people in Hong Kong who qualify from Government assistance, commonly don't take it because of this traditional social stigma unlike the West where you have career benefit cheats.

Also, as benevolent as your act is, it encourages begging from those with genuine diabilities, faked disabilities or self induced disabilities to enter this method of making a living.

Personally, I never give to beggars, I give to charities which is an inefficient method of benevolence but better than encoraging begging.

Last edited by ray98; 12-10-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dotgoner:
    Hong Kong reminds me of New York without the elegance, intelligence, sophistication, class, diversity of people and food, culture, modernization, elegance, and empathy...
    you said elegance twice, perhaps you lack some sophistication and diversity in you too.

You are obviously confused or Engrish is your second language. I said Hong Kong, not Chinese moron. The locals consider themselves Hong Kongnese or Hong Kongers, not "Chinese" I saw a fight at the Lo Wu MTR between a HK local and a MTR agent. HK local was pissed that his card didnt work and then went into a tirade about how he wasnt trying to scam the MTR because he was a local HK'er and not some mainlander.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Why don't you go to NYC then?

Elegance -> The Chinese have always been praised for their elegance (just look at the level of sophistication in the art sector...ever seen a Cantonese Opera?)

Sneezing and coughing into the air, spitting everywhere, snot rockets a flying, sour Body Odor smelling people, yeah thats elegance alright. You got me there.

Intelligence -> Latest Nobel Prize in physics is from HK
    Yeah, thats 1 person out of the whole island. Where is the intelligence when you have AC on but open all the windows or better yet, AC on in a shop but no doors. Way to go green, etc, etc.

Sophistication -> Re Elegance
    Yeah see my replies douchebag.

Food -> Debatable...I much prefer a Dim Sum over a Pizza but that is affair of personal taste
    Lack of diversity in regards to "Real Food", you would prefer Thousand Island Tuna and Corn Pizza over the real thing in Milan. As I said before, ur a douche bag

Culture -> Plenty of culture BUT your ignorance of the local lingo prevent you to fully appreicate it.
    Where is the culture on this fly speck? And I do speak Cantonese fluently and some putonghua, so where's the culture again?

Modernization -> Ehrrrr IFC, ICC, MTR, Octopus, HK Airport....
    Wow! If all that it takes to consider a city modern, then Bangalore is modern.
    You are either local or have never left fly speck and ventured to other parts of Asia..

I will when the time is right, I could never call this place home. Beijing, Korea, Japan, yes. Hong Kong, never.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ps> if you really hate HK so much, check out this website.. please feel free to book yourself back on a flight to your wonderful home! (there are NO problems in the good ol' US of A! it's the perfect place! God Bless America! sheesh!)
    International Flights, Asia Airline Travel - Cathay Pacific

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast