Like Tree5Likes

Adopting a cat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Adopting a cat?

So i decided to adopt a cat but duno if it is actually a great idea for both my family and the cat.
    We live in a 1,800 sq ft apartment 62nd flr with 4 members. Living so high we enjoy opening the balcony doors and windows all the time however if we do adopt a cat would we have to keep them close all the time. Also i heard adopted cats normally are less friendly and doesnt enjoy human companionship. Then would it be a better idea just to buy a cat from pet stores. Last question is should we keep the cat only in a designated place as we have many fragile decroations and many high shevles around the house.

we use to own a dog however she died at 13 last summer so we fainlly decided we need another pet.

Hedgehogs are in. Cats are out.

Quote Originally Posted by insider
    Also i heard adopted cats normally are less friendly and doesnt enjoy human companionship.
    It's not true. Every cat is different, and will enjoy human contact to a different degree, but it has nothing to do with being from a shelter or not. Certainly, if a cat has been mistreated by humans in the past, it'll probably want to avoid humans or act aggressively towards them, but that's the kind of problem that usually gets spotted by the people who run the shelter.

Then would it be a better idea just to buy a cat from pet stores.
    It's never a good idea to buy a cat from the pet stores here. Considering the way those animals are treated, it's not a practice anyone should support.

Last question is should we keep the cat only in a designated place as we have many fragile decroations and many high shevles around the house.

we use to own a dog however she died at 13 last summer so we fainlly decided we need another pet.
    You certainly should not restrict the cat to one area, nor will you always be able to, unless you keep it restrained.

If you don't want to risk damage to your fragile possessions, and don't want to have to keep your windows and balconies closed, you simply have to accept that it wouldn't work out.

Look at it from the cat's perspective. It needs a good home more than you need a pet. If you're not sure you can provide a happy, unrestricted life to a pet, it's better if you don't adopt. Both of you will be better off, rather than trying to force the issue because you think you "need" a pet.
    wcluk, granolagirl and insider like this.

Unless you really want some specific breed, otherwise, I always recommend friends to adopt rather than buying one. My wife and I adopted a 3 months old domestic cat from Montreal SPCA back in 1994 and he flies back to HK with us in 1998. We never close any windows/doors to balcony and he did always stand on the rail on the balcony watching around. If you really worry about it, you can always install the windows guard (something like those mosquito nets).

My cat is not the type that needs a lot of attention and padding, I would say he sees me as someone that can satisfy his needs in the early years and now he sees me as his companion. It all depends on the character of the cat itself rather than a stray cat or not. However, in general, I found that short hair cats need less attention rather than the long hair counterparts. I may be wrong, but that is my observation.

insider likes this.

Yeap, go for it.

I adopted a dog in China after SARS and he's the best dog we have had. Took him a little while to get used to us but now he won't leave our side. He clings to my wife like glue!

If you show love they will always respond.

Opened windows: you can install screens or cat net. I have cat net and it keeps cats safely inside while windows are opened.

It's best to adopt cats from shelters. Both of my cats are from a private shelter and they are loving, attention seeking creatures

insider likes this.

Where do you get cat nets??
    Thanks!

Smile Would you like a lion-looking cat?

I just got a beautiful cat from Australia. He's wonderful in every respect but I find that he is better suited to a family with no other cats so I'm looking for a new home for him. He is passionate with humans but insecure amongst other cats. He is over 2 years old so will not fly out windows like kittens do. Will be perfect for anyone looking for a quiet, loyal companion that is also a beauty to feast one's eyes on.

Unless they were treated horribly I actually think that rescue dogs/cats cling more to their new owners because they worry about being left behind again.

Restricting a cat to an area of a flat sounds cruel personally unless you live in a mansion!

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK

Restricting a cat to an area of a flat sounds cruel personally unless you live in a mansion!
    On the contrary, a lot of house cats live comfortably in a flat, where he feels secure, rather than roaming around in the neighbourhood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast