Pet insurance

Closed Thread

Pet insurance

Hi can anyone recommend a good pet insurance company (or any to avoid) - I have 2 cats.

Thanks

jen

we tried one

We used http://www.petinsurance.com/ when we got our dog as a puppy for the first year. It was about 6 years ago and it cost around $250 usd. When we started submitting our bills for re-imbursement we received a notice that we needed to show every bill from every vet the dog had ever seen. Since we are trying to find a good vet at the time there were several so we thought it wasn't worth the hassle to get back the $15. We never renewed it since we never got back anywhere near the premium spent. I know of another couple (both lawyers) that used the same insurance without a problem so it could just be my husband and I the fact we don't like to hassle with all of the paperwork.

Don't know if that helps or not?

Ouch!

Thanks thewongs - it's stories like that that put you off insurance companies!

How are vet bills in HK? Over here (UK) the price if something goes wrong can be massive, and the premiums are relatively low, so we've always been happy to have cover for them. But if that's not the case in hong kong maybe we can go without.

Thanks

Jen

Jenifa - I am not in HK yet so I can't speak to the cost of vet care. Maybe someone else can? Will UK pet insurance work globally?

From my experience with expat vets, a consultation costs about HKD250-300. Blood tests anything from HKD600 to HKD1000. Injections, medicine, etc. range in price of course, but you are looking at another HKD200 to HKD400. Some of the local (i.e. non-expat) vets may be cheaper, but I am not sure.

http://www.apexpet.com.hk/Eng/main.p...280&height=768

this is the insurance provider in HK which provides the pet insurance