Releasing goldfish

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    pollution etc, crap dumped into ponds and so forth.

Also your fish could be carrying a disease/infection which could spread and kill off everything in the pond.
    First part does not make sense - cf. expat sam's response: There are already a bunch of (gold)fish in many of these ponds, a lot of them are cleaned regular, for all I know the fish might even get fed, etc.

Second part is the opposite of your original point...
    Last edited by beachball; 27-09-2006 at 11:22 AM.

The bunch of goldfish in the pond are already used to whatever pollution that is in there. Your newly abandoned ones may not be able to survive that.

Disease and infection can go both way.

Quote Originally Posted by Petesy:
    The bunch of goldfish in the pond are already used to whatever pollution that is in there. Your newly abandoned ones may not be able to survive that.

Disease and infection can go both way.
    My point exactly

How many do you have? I've been thinking about getting some. I wouldn't mind taking a few off your hands...

Releasing goldfish

Quote Originally Posted by expat sam:
    CausewayBay - for feng shui reasons I would prefer to free my fish rather than pass them to another owner. It is equivalent to giving someone else the good fortune and luck you received from the goldfish!
    The fish may not be used to the condition in the pond and easily die. You’ll then be the killer of the fish. It won’t bring you any luck either if other living things died because of you. If you are so concerned about “Feng Shui”, it’s easy, just ask a “Lai See’ (a red packet) from the one who you give your fish to. Lai See means good luck and it does not matter what the amount is. By that, you may get your luck back. You will also be blessed for saving lives of the fish. Moreover, to be a responsible owner you should find a nice new owner for your fish.

I hope you’ll follow my suggestions; by that, I can indirectly save the fish and be blessed as well.

rainbow - if you know anything about goldfish then you should know that they are resilient and can easily adapt to new conditions - how do you think they adapt from the breeding pond to the fish seller to the home aquarium? further any fish hobbyist knows that the water volume and circulation in a pond is an important factor to fish health and growth - thats why fish kept in a pond live longer and grow larger than the equivalent fish in an aquarium (with less water volume)

and besides, they are doing fine in their new home and are swimming with numerous other fishes which also seem to be doing fine.

if you are so concerned about fish welfare why dont you start by looking at how they are sold in the first place - hundreds cramped in a tiny bucket (an aquarium if they are lucky).... the fact they survived those conditions (i.e. low oxygen and high ammonia levels) are a testament of their resilience.

by the way, i'm ABC so i know what lai see is and the way luck passes doesnt work that way - you are inventing something to justify your suggestion

It isn’t an invention. For the purpose of “good luck” – “Yee Tau” in cantonese , it is very common here when people’s pet dogs have babies and the owners have to send the puppies away, they will ask Lai See from the new owners of the puppies. As you are ABC, you may not know about it but that custom does exist.

Anyway, it seems you had dumped the fish already. So let's wish “Good Luck to the Fish”.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow_seas:
    Anyway, it seems you had dumped the fish already. So let's wish “Good Luck to the Fish”.
    Yup and lets hope they don't get eaten by the bigger fish